Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Home from ALIF

lisa burekllisa burek Posts: 855
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well everyone, I am home from my L4-S1 ALIF. Was in the hospital for only about 48 hours. Surgeon said the procedure couldn't have gone any better.

Was in recovery for longer than the surgery because my pain took a while to get under control. Got in my room at 8:30 pm and by lunchtime the next day they had me up and walking around.

Surgeon got to hospial on day 2 and saw me walking around and he had a huge smile on his face. Today he caught me walking without any assistance and called me his "champion". He was so happy to see how I was doing, he remembers my PLIF and what a rough time I had.

Now I just have to get used to the cruddy back brace. Incision pain is bad, especially when getting out of bed, but it is under control with meds.

Thank you all for your thoughts and kind wishes, I truly appreciate them, Lisa

• Congrats...I'm sure you are happy to be home and have surgery behind you. The next few days are the tough part, as I'm sure you remember.

Remember to rest and walk, rest and walk. I timed my walks to my trips to the bathroom. It was January and I couldn't go outside, so I would walk the length of the house after using the bathroom. That's all I could manage for the first week or so....

I look forward to your reports that things are improving as the days pass....

Take good care--
  • I've been wondering how you were doing. I'm so glad you're home and that it went well. Do as Gwennie says -- rest, walk, rest, walk -- and you'll come through with flying colors.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I am THRILLED to hear you are doing well :D
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I've been thinking and praying about you a lot during the last couple of days. I'm so glad to hear you're home and that the surgery was such a success! I know you were in such tremendous pain pre-op, and now it will only get better. I'm already two weeks post-op from my plif, and I am starting to feel human again. Keep us posted on your progress, and let your family take good care of you.

Lisa :)
  • I'm so glad you are recovering so well! You deserve it. I'm also really glad to hear how wonderful your surgeon was. Keep up the good work! :)
  • Hey Lisa,

I am happy to hear your procedure went so well. Keep up the good work :) Bless you!!
  • I'm so gald to hear your TLIF went well and that you're already up and about. Take it easy friend!

Faith M
  • Hi Lisa,
    Good to hear how good the surgery was done and how well well you are doing!! I hope that you have a excellent recovery and rehab.

Please keep us posted.

Take care and all the best.

• So happy to hear everything went well for you. Sounds like you are doing great, and I hope to hear that it is continuing. Good Job, and I will be thinking of you! Love, Robin >:D<
  • Sounds like you sailed through the post-op phase without a hitch...bravo!

• Hi Lisa

So happy that your surgery went so well and I bet it was good to be walking around the next day.

I'm glad I don't have to wear one of those horrible braces. I was able to get off the pain meds after a couple of weeks except for the odd occasion when I've felt I needed some. Hope it'll be the same for you, but if it isn't, make sure you keep taking the meds.

Hoping the rest of your recovery goes well and that your tummy starts going down as the weeks go by - I'm 5 weeks post op and my tummy is nearly back to normal. Do let us know how you're going.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • It's over and you're home! =D>

Sending you good wishes for a speedy recovery. Take extra care and let your family pamper you.

• Congratulations on making it past the surgery and on to recovery at home. I'm so happy you're doing well.

Please remember to take the meds as scheduled and to follow the doc's post-op orders. Take it easy and rest.

I'm sending you healing thoughts today.