Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical collar

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
On Nov. 3 2009 I had surgery on my Neck/Back. I had three ruptured disk C5-C6, C6-C7, and C7-T1. The surgery took 5 1/2 hours. Was really pleased with the Dr. and his staff but I was sent home in a Philadelphia collar. I have had a lot of pain ever since the surgery. I no longer have to hold my right arm above my head but I am still in a lot of pain. It is very hard to sleep in this collar and it feels like it has lost some of its form, making it more uncomfortable to wear. I was told by others that I should have been fitted for a Miami J collar. Should I go out and get this collar? Will it help? I am still having to wear the one they sent me home with and might be in it for some time they say, since it was a level 3 fusion. Of course I am new to all of this. I am a 36 year old male and I fell off of a ladder which got me this way. I could use all the advice anyone can give. I have broken a lot of bones in my life and have had enough stitches to go around the world I believe, but I have NEVER been in this much pain. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sincerely, Rick

• I would suggest contacting your surgeon's office and asking them to verify what collar the doc wants you in and if it is the Philadelphia, let them know what you think is happening to it.

Not all surgeons use the same protocols for collars and length of time in the collar. So the best person to advise you on it, is the surgeon himself.

Welcome to Spine Health. Sorry to hear you had such a not so fun fall off the ladder. I hope you heal up and get to feeling better soon.