Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Turmeric pills

Justin66JJustin66 Posts: 95
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Pain Medications
What do you all think about taking the natural herb pills turmeric as an anti-inflammatory along with advil. You think it would be too much and could cause damage? Ive been trying to find some info online if this is too much anti-inflammatory but have not found anything yet.

• i was advised not to take both at the same time on a regular basis. i was told that an ibu every now and again while taking turmeric was ok but to try not to. the health food store i go to has someone there that seems to really know his stuff.
  • i have to agree from the information i have that it would be better to go easy on the Advil and you can use the Turmeric every day... :D good luck! of course it is always a good idea to talk with your doctor or pharmacist. :-C Jenny :)
  • In addition to NSAIDS, you also shouldn't use Turmeric as an anti-inflammatory if you're taking drugs prescribed to treat/prevent blood clots like Plavix, Coumadin, Lovenox, etc. Turmeric has a blood thinning effect and when it's combined with those drugs or NSAIDS, it can increase the risk of various types of bleeds. :)

• Just wanted to share my positive experience with the pills.
    I have 2-3 herniated discs that causes discomfort and not so bad pain (stiffness) mostly in the morning. The first 3 or so hours are sensitive and as the day goes by it gets better.
    I tried steroid injection last summer and it was effective but only for 3 days. I guess the steroid dissipated in my body, and since the cost for me with insurance was around $900, I didn't try it again.

About 6 weeks ago I started to take Joint pills with glucosamine and turmeric in it. After 3-4 days I already started to feel better in the morning, the walks were much easier to do. After 4 weeks I switched to another kind with glucosamine and green lipped mussel in it, but the positive effect went away.
    So I ordered pure turmeric pills and I am back in the good feeling. This new pill has only turmeric in it, no glucosamine and I only have to take 2 pills once a day 700-700 mg, so 1400 mg altogether.
    A month supply is about $7 so that is incredibly cheap. I haven't noticed any sideeffect and I am pretty happy with the results. If I don't sit correctly the pain/stiffness comes back during the day, but the morning pain is gone.

I guess it is worthy to give it a try for everyone...
    One more advice: Try to sleep on as hard of a surface as one can bear. I use cardboards on the top of the bed to make it more firm. Every 2 weeks I have to replace it, but it is a cheap and effective way to make one's bed temporary firmer...
  • There are a number of books on chronic pain that mention that the combination of ginger and turmeric is even more effective. They both work to calm down inflammation and also have a positive effect on nociceptor pain.

I'm glad you have found something that is helping your pain...and you can't beat the price...plus, your liver will thank you!

• Yesterday I ran into an ad, that advertised a back pain pill. The major ingredients were:

The price was $79 though and when I searched for reviews, people complained about the company's sales tactic, signing up for a test, then billing them unless cancelled.

Anyhow, that pill might work as well, but one could just go and get those 2-4 ingredients at Amazon for about 1/3 of the price.
    With my 1400 mg of Turmeric I was wondering if I could/should cut the dose in half? Not because of the price, I just don't want to take more than I really needed....
  • gottoneggottone Posts: 2
    edited 04/27/2015 - 6:41 AM
    Hi to all. It's been 1 year since my L5-S1 laminectomy/fusion and it's been a roller coaster ride. Original pain was mostly on my left side. I started having trouble sitting/standing about 18 months before the surgery. Nothing helped about six months before the surgery. Anyways, after 3 weeks, I felt well enough to increase my walking. I did @10-20 miles a week until I went back to work after 3 months. I gradually started feeling pain with spasms at my upper right glut and although I still had problems sitting/standing with pain at the surgery site, a CT scan confirmed I had SI joint dysfunction and SI joint fusion (I-Fuse) was recommended by my doctor. My insurance company has denied all the doctor authorizations for the surgery. My job is in jeopardy due to the pain affecting my work and I'm not allowed to be on narcotics for my particular job, and had to wean myself off the pain meds. I have started taking turmeric (95% curcuminoids) with my meds(Neurontin/flexeril/meloxicam) and 2 alleve a day about a few weeks ago and I have definitely noticed an improvement in day-to-day pain. Do I need to stop taking Meloxicam? I await the time until I get my surgery, but after reading post on SI fusion, do I really want it? Keep exercising everyone (if possible) and if you can, swimming is also beneficial (at least to me). As long as I am moving, I basically feel no pain. I wonder if anyone else out there is like that. Thanks and the latest I've seen on Tumeric is @1500 mg of 95% curcuminoids daily. Mine also has Bioprene.
  • egr78eegr78 Posts: 26
    edited 07/09/2015 - 6:45 PM
    I was taking 200 mg qam of celebrex when one of my therapists suggested the turmeric...i am taking one 500 mg cap a day with no other NSAID...i think it actually works better and causes less stomach irritation for me...
    Erin Roche
    L5/S1 Hemilaminectomy
    SCS implant in 2012
    plus much much more...
This discussion has been closed.