Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 week TLIF check up

dapopo315ddapopo315 Posts: 40
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had my 6 week check up today from my Open TLIF procedure. The doctor said he was happy with what he saw on the x-rays, none of my hardware had moved. But he did say that there were no signs yet of bone growth as of yet.

Not sure if that's normal or not. Guess my question to all my new 'Spiney Friends' is . . . what is a normal time frame for when I should hopefully start seeing some bone growth? I understand that everyones different with healing, just kind of wondering what some of u have experienced.

• Hi dapopo,

Glad to hear your appointment went well. The fact that your Dr. is pleased with how you are doing is a
    great start. I would think if he was concerned about no new bone growth, then he would have mentioned it.

Honestly, with my last fusion 6 years ago I cannot remember when I started fusing. For this new fusion its too early for me since it was only a week ago.

Just keep taking care of yourself and things should fall into place. By the way, if you smoke that does slow down the fusion process.

Take care, Lisa
  • As a person that is getting opinions on revision surgery, some others, and TLIF . . .it is helpful to see how others are doing.

Sounds like things are progressing well.
  • I had started fusing at six weeks, but I had a substantial amount of BMP packed in around my fusion, mixed with some of my own bone marrow. Did you have any BMP, or are you wearing a bone growth stimulator? If not, it may be perfectly normal for the fusion to have not begun as yet. I know that my doc explained before surgery that he would use the BMP and my bone marrow, because he found that was the easiest way to get the bone to fuse. I am now one year out and am completely fused.

As the others have said, if your doc is not overly concerned, you probably shouldn't be either.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.