Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain killers keep me wide awake, anyone else?

ajamiesonaajamieson Posts: 65
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Pain Medications
I am awaiting surgery and have been given several pain killers to try in the meantime. One side effect I have with all is that they make me WIDE AWAKE. They don't help the pain and I can't sleep. Anyone else with this problem? What do you do to help get sleep and kill the pain? Thanks, Ann

• I currently take Percocet and it has a similar effect on me as well. My PM doctor has me take a Xanax and a muscle relaxant at night. The Xanax really helps calm down and not stress out at night so much. I don't know exactly what all your currently taking but you might want to talk to your doctor about an anti anxiety or muscle relaxer to help you sleep.

Before I started taking Xanax I would take a benadryl allergy to help me sleep. My advice would be to talk to your doctor and see if he has something to help you sleep.
  • Excitation from opiates/opiods is definitely normal. You are pre op and so they are likely giving you a LOT of stuff and well, the lack of sleep is worth the lack of pain right? My best defense was lights out at the same time EVERY night, and up at the same time every morning, regardless. Good luck!