Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Muscle Spasm Causing Loss of Cervical Curve?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I know somebody on here has this problem. I have a straight neck due to muscle spasms that wont go away. the problem is more focused on the rights die of my neck due to a weightlifting injury similar to whiplash. lately, the spasms are spreading to my upper back and even shoulders and legs. but worst of all, my neck now always cracks and i always have neck pain, can hardly ever turn my neck to the right. its been 3 months now! i also twitch and my fingers shake and my face gets numb.

MRIs are magically normal, despite doctors admitting my straight neck. Ive been to PT, acupuncture, and everything. Why wont my neck muscles relax? Its been 3 whole months.

• theres something that the mri's are missing obviously.There are other tests that can be done on your neck to see whats going on there.Maybe its just a muscular problem torn muscle or something that causing your neck to spasm causing the straigthening. I don't really know ,just guessing.Have the doctors suggested any other testing? I had straightening of my neck as well,the mri showed disc herniations compressing my spinal cord. What does your physical therapist say? they usually have a pretty good take on things.Have you tried massages? Have you taken any muscle relaxants to try and relax your neck muscles?
  • Welcome to the run-around diagnosis circus! So hard to find out what is wrong.
    I have had a very similar experience for many years. Mine turned out to be quite simple-knotted back muscles pulling the neck muscles down, making them very tight and sore. Bad headaches, stiff neck, can't bend head to side, limited swivel.
    That is probably why the muscle relaxants helped.

The treatment I'm following now with great success is remedial massage.
    It is a long, slow process though, but definitely offers immediate relief. It wears off, so you have to keep going.

Worth a try.
  • Sorry to hear about the muscle spasm, sounds like I have something similar, but my mri shows neck arthritis and in particular foraminal stenosis at C7-T1. But it is classified as "moderate" and there is no contact of bony spurs with nerve root. My doc says that I am "sensitive" to getting muscle spasms and that the neck is trying to protect itself, that it is a primitive response by the body. I have variable numbness in my hands, arms and face. I was able to stop medication last year for a few months but now am taking tylenol and zanaflex, also using TENS unit, just because I have to limit my activities so much if I don't. Even with the medication and TENS I am still taking things slowly. I have also tried acupuncture and it helped somewhat. I am going to try it again with a different practitioner. I've been shoppping around because it can be expensive. Also, Feldenkrais has helped some. If there is an "Awareness Through Movement" (ATM) class in your area you might check it out. I have tried a "head and neck" workshop that gave me some insight and I am probably going to take it again. Anyway, I hope that you can find some relief soon.

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Acute spasmotic torticollis (from the latin word for turtle)- I only hope for you that this does not become chronic and lead toward other significant DDD. DDD will erode the overall structure of your C-Spine and will potentially cause a whole nother world of pain - numbnesss -lose of fine motor skills and gross motor skills, pain etc.
    - oh also ... maybe try warm moist heat ... it may help those achey muscles a bunch!!

Keep us posted,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!