Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

post-op back surgery info

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everyone!
I am a recent back surgery warrior...I have a beautiful scar running down my spine and I'm having some trouble adjusting to post-op life. I had a Posterior Discectomy, Posterior Fusion, PLIF, TSRH, Poster Iliac graft requiring 3 rods and 6 screws. I am 24 years old and had my surgery on Nov 19th. So far I am recovering well with the help and support of my family and wonderful boyfriend.
I have a few things that I am having difficulties with and was wondering if anyone out there may have any advise from previous experience. For starters, I am going stir crazy from sitting still and not doing anything to potentionally jepordize my healing, I am not used to having to take it easy and am crawling the walls trying to find productive tasks to do that help keep me from feeling completely reliable on someone to help me out day to day. I already have to be bathed, have someone assist me in the bathroom, assist with dressing myself...I'm basically a 24 yo infant these days haha I try to make light of things so they don't seem so depressing but it is difficult. Another issue is that my boyfriend is literally terrified to touch me thinking he is going to break me or something. Bless his heart he has been so supportive and helpful during all of this, but I know that his physical needs are not being met in fear of injuring me. Anyone out there know how I can assure him that he isn't going to break me if we are intimate and that even though I'm still fresh from surgery and healing doesn't mean our sex life has to be put on hold for an indefinate time? Any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this :)

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. your boyfriend sounds like a real keeper. =D> be alittle bit of the agresssor and go slow. i am sure you are not ready for full on sex and being intimate can mean so many things. now is a great time to explore that. :D touch and feel can play a big part in your play. have some fun and don't be serious. he will catch on and before you know it, he will find you won't break. good luck on a fantastic recovery. you have the chance to be pain free!!! =D> good luck! :D Jenny :)
  • Have you considered taking your BF to your doc with you? It will most likely be more convincing coming from him. Do count your blessings for having so much support. I have talked to so many folks that have families that just do not understand pain and how it can effect our lives.

Do you like to play video or computer games? Have you thought about looking up your family tree? Do you like crossword puzzles? These are the things that might keep you busy and you should be able to do without causing harm to yourself.

Good luck with your recovery and please keep us posted.

• you may find that i know that doing nothing is very boring .but don't rush your recovery ..at your age you think that you are invincible ..and trust me ...you are not ..i hope that your back operation is a success {its too early to determine it just yet] take some advice for a person that has had 2 operations and been in pain for 15 years ,don't let anyone boss you around even if you feel like you can do something think about it fist then thing again the last thing that you want is to make your back worse .there are a few things that you can do to make your life comfier when in bed sleep with a pillow in between your knees you may want to try a memory foam pillow i have found my temper millenium queen very comfy.as for sex and you are female you may be able to enjoy soon but again keep way from anything too energetic just make sure that your back is well supported ..as a male ..my operations have make sex an impossibility {unable to obtain an erection due to nerve damage } and even if i could i am in too much pain to enjoy sex .i hope that you have a good recovery but remember your back will never be as good as new and there is a good chance that you will require more surgery as you get older ..so look after yourself and dont take any unnecessary risks like lifting heavy weight even if you feel you could manage it
  • Well today was my first day out of the house since coming home from surgery. Went for a car ride and a trip to Wally World (rode on the motorized cart which was terrifying LOL). So far so good, incision is healing nicely and my range of movement is slowy increasing. I'm still completely reliable on my walker due to poor balance and severe weakness in both legs from nerve damage. My arms and legs have decided to resume their own actions, jumping all over the place, I am learning to accept that it may be a long term or even permanent thing. Still have signifigant numbness down both outer thighs and tops of both feet. Weather has been very cold, snowed for the first time this year, and has made me feel like the tinman, very stiff. I stepped out on the front porch to look at the snow in the front yard and nearly froze from the inside out! It felt like someone was pouring liquid nitrogen down my lower spine! Weirdest feeling that I have ever experienced. Takes a good 4-5 hours for me to loosen up enough to get around the house in the mornings. I'm keeping myself busy doing christmas shopping online and pacing around the kitchen table for a little exercise since I'm not allowed on the treadmill yet. I have a good memory foam for my bed and sleep with 2 body pillows for hips and back support, but thanks for the tip. My mother had almost the exact same surgery that I had a couple of years ago and has been very helpful in guiding me and supporting me and giving me wonderful helpful info as well as this forum.
    Me and the beau are slowly gaining our intimacy back, he's still very reserved and very cautious when it comes to me...but what little intimacy we have has brought us closer...so thanks for the tips in that area too :)
    First post-op follow up visit is next week, and I think my surgeon will be very proud of my progress since surgery!
    Thanks for all of the excellent advise and input! Hope all is well with my fellow scar warriors :)
  • I had PLIF surgery at L5-S1 and I had many of the same conerns you do about intimacy with your spouse. Here is how I handled it...take my advice or or leave it...when I felt ready (which was about 2 weeks after surgery) we gently attempted relations for the first time post op...our "rules" were, if it hurt, then we would stop. No pain, and lots of gain for both of us. No to be too descriptive, but you need to stay laying flat to support your back. Enough said. Good luck!