Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical Corpectomy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Had a anterior cervical corpectomy 6 weeks ago. All going well, I guess. My question is, how long until one can resume normal physical activity? I'll see the surgeon for a follow up in a week, but am impatient. Would like to go snow skiing in 3 weeks ( Very gentile skiing). Any feedback as to similar expeience?

• hi ronnied,and welcome to spine health. i think just about everyone at spine health is going to tell you to ask your doctor and go with what the requirements are that your doctor lays out for you. alot of us here never regain normal activity. i had a acdf c3-c7 over 2 years ago with a corpectomy at c5 and still have swallowing issues, numbness in arms and hands, and oh yes - pain. i have adjusted to my disabilities and i am greatful that i am alive and walking around. also, my surgery was over 10 hours long. it sounds like your surgery was much shorter if you are thinking of skiing after 6 weeks post op? i wish and pray you have a speedy and sucessful recovery. God Bless All, kc
  • Thanks for you feed back. Your procedure was definitely more invovled than mine. My surgery was 3 hours. I had fusion at c4-5 and c5-6. I was experiencing severe muscle atrophy in my left arm and scapula. Working on getting the muscles back. It'll take awhile, but patience is part of the healing. Again, thanks for sharing.
  • hi ronnied, one thing i forgot to let you know: be very careful to follow your surgeons orders about the amount of weight you can lift. it may seem silly only to lift 3 to 5 pounds at the start, but your fusion needs some time to do its thing and completely heal. i have read about alot of failed fusions on this site and i believe some of them are because the surgeons orders were not followed. again i wish and pray for your speedy recovery. kc
  • Ronnie, are you still wearing a collar? Was your surgery done all anteriorly or did they have to go in from the back too?

Every part of me is screaming NOOOOOOOOOO to snow-skiing, but like 24-7 suggested, rely on what your doctor tells you over what any of us would say. I suppose if all goes well as you glide down the slopes, then skiing would be no big deal. It is the what-ifs that concern me. Just please be careful and let your body heal. Believe me, you don't want to go in for a revision.

Happy healing, and it is impressive that you are even thinking of going skiing.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • n of s, thats what i was thinking, but did not say it. kc
  • I was able to shed the collar after 3 weeks. I'm going on 8 weeks post-op, now. My surgery was was done all anterior. I'm working hard on the therapy to get the muscles working again. The information shared by everyone on this forum is very useful.
  • I had c5 corpectomy last thursday.. everything was possitive, and pain was gone in arms, legs, and hip, and numbness wa pretty much gone. but now the last cople days i am getting severe vertigo and dizzyness and my right sife throat, neck and chin is numb completely.. any ideas
    elizabeth schlink
  • Call your doc or go to the ER.

• I called the surgeon.. they said that the numbness will subside... it it from cutting my throat from side to side.. i am getting some feeling back little by little... and the vertigo is from probably my alergies and in my ears... as far as everything else.. i am taking my walks to gain f=strenth and is getting better. i am pleased with my progress... and am going to see my surgeon for followup friday.. thank you for your response.. this is just all new to me.. and the back of my neck is itching alot.. they said that is where the cage is on c5 and that means the nerves are coming alive again. ty so much and god bless
    elizabeth schlink