Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just tell me I'm OK

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I know I'm repeating myself but I'm frustrated. I had a L4L5 MicroD with Lami on the left in Sept. I have mild to moderate spasms on the opposite side with mild to moderate sciatic. I'm icing,taking Mobic and Soma. I walk a mile everyday and do Mckenzie stretches. I can sit for an hour with moderate sciatic pain and stand for longer. I am back to work ona firetruck. I'm just losing confidence in my self as this is frustrating. So, with the aforementioned condition and a pain level really no more than a 5 out of 10. Do ya think I'm doin OK and is this opposite side trouble normal or should I push to see the NS. Dose pack really didn't help much. Just don;t know wghat to expect. Am I rushing things? Need some perspective as Im giving this way to much thought.
Thanks so much.
advertisement

Comments

• I say stay calm but also stay cautious.
    IF you are not where you expected to be at 6 weeks, let your doctor know.

I actually never got relieft from my MicroD (L5-S1) or I don't think I did. At week 6, I let the dr. know it and was pretty clear that I was not doing as well as I expected and that maybe I was misunderstanding what the dr. told me and needed to lower my expectations. He told me no and that he expected me to be asking to play golf and run. He said he still wasn't worry b/c ht thought I was improving but was cautious and put me on steroids (Prednisone) for 9 days and we set a follow up for week 10. At week 10, I told him again, I was not feeling much improvement. When he said I should be b/c the surgery was gratifying, I knew something wasn't right.

I told him again, i wasn't comfortable and asked again for a follow up MRI. He was hesitant but after much discussion said for peace of mind he'd send me. Glad I pushed. I re-herniated the disc.

I'm not saying that's what you did, so please do not be alarmed. I just think that you ahve to be patient but you have to know your own body. If you aren't feeling good, slow down. Remember it take 6 weeks to recover and really 3 months for the inner incision to fully heal. I know it's minimally invasive surgery but it's still surgery and your body does need to be pampered some to recover fully.

I pushed for the MRI. Results suggested revision microD, however, now I'm awaiting an appt with neuro surgeon to see their opinion b/c I've had a few varying opinions.

I wouldn't worry but I would be very aware and take precautions. If at week 6 you aren't where you think you should be, tell your dr. If at week 10-12 you still feel "not where you expected" push for follow up tests.

For me -> I was in pain, didn't regain any feeling where I was numb and I have significant numbness, and was hurting more each week.
  • like you are rushing things. You are doing way better than I ever did at the 2 month mark. It takes the nerves some time to heal and it is not unusual to feel pain in places other than you felt pre op.

If you are really concerned the best thing to do would be to talk to your doc about it. If nothing else maybe it will set your mind at ease.

Good luck in your recovery and please keep us posted.