Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

noseovertailnnoseovertail Posts: 387
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I thought I'd liven up the place a bit and post some pictures. Feel free to post your own photos! :) Sorry, this page may load slowly, I attached a lot of photos.

Me showing off my surgery stockings. The silver hat they had me wear looked like some sort of UFO or popcorn popper thing.

How I felt on all my meds, haha!

Starting to get an allergic reaction from something. You can't see well in the pic, but I was getting red itchy splotches on my face.

Me having morphine dreams. This was the first night, I think.

ok now some older pictures!

MRI from 2007, you can see the huge herniation at L4/5 (You can also see my fist which was resting on my bellybutton). I don't have a pic of my latest MRI, but the herniation got even worse.

An image from my discogram on 10/06/09

Another discogram image. That is the pressurized dye being injected into my discs.

Nervous & waiting for the doctor for my discogram

Did I mention I was TERRIFIED?!

Getting wheeled away for my discogram. On VERY *happy* drugs!

Funny hospital slippers!

I think that's it!

• Those are too funny! Love your photo-documentary of your spiney experiences...I'm glad you managed to find humor in it all! I think that it definitely helps keep things in perspective :)

Obviously, you have a Mac? My 92 year old grandma was almost peed herself laughing at that fun-house effect on my sister's Mac while my sister took pics of her. (She passed away in July but we'll always have those pics of her!)

My dad is sending me a new camera for Christmas, maybe I can talk my boyfriend into doing the same for me when I decide which surgery to go with. It'll definitely provide distraction for him during a stressful time!

Can't wait to see what other spineys have to post :O
  • Yup, I have a Macbook. I love the funny photo effects it can do! That is so awesome that you have those pictures to remember your Grandma by, I bet they bring a smile to your face whenever you look at them.

I highly recommend asking your boyfriend to document your entire ordeal with photos. I was actually going to make them into an album one day. Hey, it's not everyday you get a bunch of screws and rods put into your spine, right? :)

I hope other spineys post photos! I see that one of my pictures didn't work, but I can't figure out how to edit that post. :(
  • These are excellent, especially the clarity of the herniation at L4/L5!

How do you post photos?
  • Andrea,

Thanks for posting the pics, what a great way to document this time in your life. If any of my family members had tried taking photos of me at that point. there would have been amputations! LOL
  • The paw scrubs were used at the hosp i had my original laminectomy in Aug 0f 2006. The hosp where I just had surgery did not use them, was kinda a bummer. And you are a cutie chick. And no I'm not gay, Not that there's anything wrong with that LOL
  • Hi Andrea

Luv the photos you posted and the special effects :))) and you look so sweet having morphine dreams I)

Hoping you continue to heal well and keep letting us know how you're doing.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • If only I was saavy enough to put up pictures. Oh yeah, I forgot I haven't gotten with the 90's yet and don't have a digital camera! I know, I know, get with the program.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    Take a look at our FAQ..
    On the list of how to's, I've just added one on how to include photos
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hey, let me pile on with everyone else, those are some great pictures. The one of you going for discogram on your 'happy drugs' is too funny. You look high as a giraffe! Thanks for making my morning a bit brighter

• Andrea, it's so cool that you posted your photos. I hope my hair looks at least half as good as yours while I'm in the hospital LOL.

It's funny because my hubby loves to take photos and carries his camera everywhere. I was thinking just last night that I'm going to ask him to bring his camera to the hospital - he's going to think I'm nuts.

Take care and keep on a'healin'!
  • I'm glad everyone liked the photos! I wish I had more to post! I didn't want to put up ones with my family & friends just in case they don't want their photos plastered on the internet.

Lisa, time to get a camera! They have some really good deals right now especially!

I highly suggest that you ask people to take photos of you before, after & during the hospital stay. You probably won't even remember them taking the pictures anyways, and it's so nice to look back at. :)

Now c'mon people, post more so I'm not the only one!
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Thank you SO much for posting those. I think if I end up having surgery I will actually have my hubby snap some shots. I think it might be a good way to look back and see what I've been through as well as entertain others!
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Thanks
    what great spirits you have.My husband non stopped taking pics and i was getting mad.lol but he said that is will all be a memory and does not want to miss out on having pics..

Thanks again.
  • Andrea,

Oh those white hose to help with clotting. The light blue gripper socks. Perfect!!! That is the exact same thing I got. Like this picture...

I'm not posting a picture of me in them. There are too many women on this forum. I'd hate to think some might faint... from laughing too hard probably.... LOL

• Graham, you should totally post a photo. C'mon, its all in good fun! :-)
  • Good to put a face with the name. All this time I've been picturing you as kind of small and fuzzy - Oh! That's your dog! LOL. It's funny how you begin to associate an image with a person. It's nice to meet you at last.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Haha Linda! I guess I am still small and fuzzy! All 5'2" of me :) I want to change my avatar to a photo of me but I like the picture of my puppy so much.
  • LOVE that you posted the pix!!

I've TRIED a few times to add an avatar - for some reason it weirds-out the screen and half the avatar covers the post. I've been thinking I need to try again. Other than that I did post a scar photo once. Ick.

Speaking of the scar - DH told me for Christmas he was going to get me a gift certificate to a tattoo parlor. (He knows I'm pretty anti-tattoo). I just popped back at him and said, 'Yep. gonna get a zipper tattoo over my scar' the thing he calls my endless crack, - can't remember who was talking about the zipper tattoo, but I'm SO glad to have had the reply all ready for him!!!

• LOL, I kinda want to get a band aid tattooed over mine!
  • They become addictive. I know I'm an old lady and some of you will be shocked, but I got my first tattoo a couple of months ago. I already have a few more planned. Hey - I'm old. I figure at this point, they can't sag and become distorted, because I've already done most of my drooping! :laugh:

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • LOL, Oh I know far too well about them being addictive. I have a half sleeve, working on a full sleeve on my left arm. I also have one on my hip and another on my right wrist :) Love tattoos!

Just be careful if you are going to get one on scar tissue, sometimes tattoo artists will refuse since it's so tough to work through, or they don't come out very well.
  • noseovertail said:
    ...I see that one of my pictures didn't work, but I can't figure out how to edit that post.
    On the lower right of your post, you should see an edit tab. Your code is missing a " ] " bracket after the first "IMG".

btw, I think you are very pretty.

On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Paul said:
    noseovertail said:
    ...I see that one of my pictures didn't work, but I can't figure out how to edit that post.

On the lower right of your post, you should see an edit tab. Your code is missing a " ] " bracket after the first "IMG".

btw, I think you are very pretty.

Thank you Paul : )

There is no "edit" button for me to edit that post. Is there a way a mod or someone can fix the code? (And can you remove the one with the paw prints, I look like a lunatic) ?
  • Linda - you kill me!!! lol! ..already drooping! ROFLOL!

I needed that laugh!

Hey, as much as I don't want a tattoo, I'm starting to think that I'm scarred up enough that a tattoo would improve things a bit. I just have a hard time wanting to inflict more pain on my poor pain-addled body.
  • Hey Andrea, I thought I could see some ink peeking out from your robe sleeve in your pictures. I didn't say anything then, but since the topic's been brought up..neat-o. I only have my right bicep ink'd, but I like it like that because when I'm on my bike, my t shirt sleeve blows up and my 'fearsome shark tattoo' shows. Ha!

See ya
  • Haha Aaron!

My favorite tattoo that I have is probably the NY pizza slice on my inner left bicep. It has a banner that says "Dad". My dad is originally a New Yorker and absolutely loves NY pizza (so do I)! I tried to get it with his favorite toppings, too.
  • I think we should put you in a special beauty magazine article called "how to look good while on morphine" or "beauty tips for your Discogram." Enjoyed the picture with the surgical socks and space-age silver hat too-very funny.
  • I always enjoy other people's surgery pics, but I've never seen any with such a happy patient!

• I figured out how to edit the post so now the photo of the dye being injected into my discs shows up.

I also want to add this photo, it's of my spine back in August. The first orthopedic surgeon who I went to only took an Xray instead of sending me for an MRI. I went to visit him in the middle of my back being "out". I could not stand up straight, I was literally stuck in a bent over position. I was crying my eyes out and this doctor was SO uncaring! So this is the Xray that his technician took. They told me that my spine was curved because my muscles were pulling it aside, from spasms. Does this even sound realistic?

• Ha ! I found you ! :D

I was wondering where you were as I had not seen you over at having surgery tomorrow.

LOVE the pics :)

I too wish I looked 1/2 this good in the hospital.

I thought of having hubby cam cord my hospital stay and BOY am I happy I did not - I was such a itch, don't want to ruin my friendly person reputation lol ;)

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.