Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2nd cervical spinal sugery...

TiechiaTTiechia Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in New Member Introductions

I was involved in a motorcycle accident June 2009 and suffered a broken neck and pelvis among other injuries. Initially, my a rod and screws were placed in my neck but in Aug, 2009 I was told that my bones have slipped from the screws. I am a smoker trying desperately to quit. I managed to go 2weeks not smoking but are now finding myself struggling with abstaining from smoking. Dr's tell me the smoking is why my bones are not healing. Can someone help me... I cannot use patches or quit smoking aides with nicotine, for it is the nicotine that is weakening my bones. Also, I have began to experience a constant pain in my arm, like nerve damage... any suggestions on that. It seems to be worsening since the surgery. Dr said he removed a few bone spurs and as I heal it may get better. He also informed me that I may need future surguries in the future as my bones get weaker, is there anything to slow down the deteration of my bones? I have many many questions and concerns, any feedback would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!

• Welcome to Spine-Health. There are a lot of great people here as well as some valuable info.

I don't totally agree with your doc's statement about your smoking being the reason for non-fusion because there are a lot of people who've fused even though they smoke. I know it doesn't help, though.

Do you take any kind of calcium supplements? I can't help you with quiting smoking as I haven't been able to either.

Take care, Tiechia, and again - welcome to Spine-Health.

• Thank you for your response. And yes, I just began taking viactiv, a calcum chew supplement. Do you think that will help? I was thinking since these help to maintain healthy bones, maybe I need sumthing a little stronger, like for osteoprosis... since my bones are not healthy, any suggestions?
  • Hi again Tiechia. I'm really not sure about what else to take. You might benefit from talking with someone that works in a vitamin store like Vitamin Cottage or Vitamin Shoppe. Most of them have great knowledge of what's needed for what ailments, etc.

But be sure that you're allowed to take whatever it is after fusion surgery. There are things that are even worse for fusion like NSAIDS, etc. So find out what they suggest you take and call your surgeon to varify that it's not going to cause any other problems with your surgery outcome.

• Tiechia,

Howdy and Welcome to the site!!! I too am a smoker. My first fusion, I fused "like asap!!" My doctor was blown away how fast I fused - and yes he knew I smoked. My next fusion was just over a year later, and like the other, I was starting to fuse fast once again. Something happened (and I was doing everything as instructed) and the top of the fusion "cracked, broke?" not sure of the term. Did smoking cause it? I dunno - but since my surgeon (who hates smoking) didn't bring that up as a cause, I am drumming it up to "luck of the draw", or maybe something to do with my hardware - see my avatar - the second fusion was the bottom.

Sadly, I do still enjoy smoking, and with all what I am going through right now - fusion issues, filing for disability retirement and all that goes with it etc., my ciggies are my friend of comfort right now. Am I honest enough to STATE that I know nicotine and lord knows what other chemicals are in my cigarettes, I know it is a negative for fusion efforts. If you already have a bone issue - calcium, genes etc., you might want to quit at least until the fusion is stable. We are here if you need us!! Again, welcome aboard!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. be sure and stop by the "Smoking" forum and see what that has to offer you. there are other spineys trying to quit just like you are. :D perhaps that will give you some incentive to help you quit. good luck! :D Jenny :)