Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Switching from Oxycontin to Methadone

JEMJJEM Posts: 32
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Pain Medications
I've been taking Oxycontin for over two years, with Percocet for breakthrough pain. It's not as effective as it was, probably because my illness and tolerance have both increased. My pain is off the charts extreme, so my doctor suggested Methadone.

I'm going to make the change, and I'm apprehensive. I took it 18 months ago for only five weeks (for insurance reasons). My pain wasn't nearly as bad as it is now, and it did work on the pain. It made me nod off a lot. I hear that stops over time. I've tried just about all the opiods, and I've read many times that Methadone can help people like me who are in severe pain and nothing else works. I'm realistic. If my pain can go from the 9/10 to 3/4, I'll be thrilled. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

• I take Methadone and have been taking it for about 2 years now. It does tend to make me sleepy but not as bad as when I first started taking it. I take it at about 7 PM at night so that most of the drowsy feeling will subside by the next morning.

Methadone is also a very inexpensive drug. Much less expensive than oxy. It is also an opiate so I am not sure if it will work exactly the same as oxy or not.

I also take percocet for breakthrough pain. It helps control my pain pretty well. I must say that after 2 years I think that I am going to have to go up in dosage on the Methadone but I have no complaints.

You have to titrate up slowly on the dose so don't be discouraged if it takes a little while for you to get the right dose in your system and feel relief.

I hope that it works well for you and please keep us posted.
  • I also switched from Oxycontin to Methadone and was apprehensive about how it worked and the stigma attached to it. So far I'm doing well with it and have no side effects except some drowsiness. I also take Oxycodone 15mg for BT pain and have a pain pump implanted too. I'm hoping to get off Methadone once my pump medication is adjusted to where it would be at a therapeutic level. At least now I don't get "sticker" shock at the register when paying for Methadone like I would with Oxycontin.
  • form does methodone come in, pill, liquid?? Im so glad it works well for you
  • It is an opiate just like oxycontin. It is a fairly small pill.
  • Well, I've been on Methadone for almost four months now, and it was the best decision I ever made. Here comes the corny, "I feel like I have my life back", lol, but it's true. Methadone isn't perfect, and I have bad days. The difference is that before I never ever had a good day, it was just a question of how bad my day was going to be.

I take 30mg, three times a day, with Percocet for BT pain. I don't nod off much anymore. I'm tired a lot since taking Methadone. I'd rather be tired than crying in pain. I sleep like a rock. The drug has its trade offs, but again, that pain was unbearable. I never have that kind of pain anymore.
  • Glad to know that Methadone is really making a difference for you and that you get better relief. Please keep us posted on your condition. Take care