Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

numbness in chin

barryco68bbarryco68 Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi all,

I had an ACDF (C4-C5) 4 months ago. I'm still in pain (thumb & arm)but that's another story...
Right now I'm looking for advice with regard to my numbing under the chin.
I've had numbing since the op which seemed to be getting better over the past few months.

However this last week I've noticed that the numbing has come back & also seems to be advancing towards the chin, a spot that was not numb before.

I have been back at the gym doing some streching & strengthening excercise & also a little bit of running. I also had a melograph & CT scan last week. I'm hoping to have a chat with my NS soon but was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this numbing under the chin.

As anyone experienced it getting better & then taking a turn for the worse?

• Howdy Barry,

My fusions (separate surgeries) were the C5/6 then the C6/7. Okay, with that said, my incision sites are both on the left, and I before the second surgery had numbness above the site to the base of my chin was realized. A year later, though reduced, I - if I turned my head especially to the left, it felt (feels still) like I am wearing a silky light scarf!

Fast forward... Now I get the C6/7 fused, some of my previous numbness changed! On the left side again, I have "light" numbness above the incision (and old scar above) up to the bottom of my jaw bone. I also have numbness up to the base of my left ear. Other than that, no more numb areas. I hope that helps!

Keep in mind, when they cut for the surgery, "little nerves" get severed, can't avoid that! They are more of a nuisance (to me)than anything else. Some of the nerves will regenerate, but most won't. Some of your numb areas will feel like they "moved" to other areas. You should be fine. If it really concerns you, of course try to get with your surgeon and see what he says. Take care.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • on my neck over a year later.Its not as bad as it was right after the surgery.Most of it had disappeared by the six month mark but then the car accident happened and the numbness came back and still hasn't gone away again.It doesn't affect my speech or the way i swallow so i figure its not a big problem.
  • thanks for the comments..i'm seeing my surgeon in 2 days as I may have to have a foraminotomy & will discuss with him then... But it is reassuring to know that you have had similar experiences. You're both right it's a bearable, kinda stange but thankfully not painful.
    will be in touch