Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Too many meds .. please help!

jsirabellajjsirabella Posts: 311
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Chronic Pain
Yes 2009 has been a great year as besides the herniation issue I just came back from a root canal. Someone up there is really getting even with me...

Anyway as I was leaving and the doc telling me that I will have pain on that side for about 7 days, he gave me a scrip for Lodine and vicodin.

I used to take soma, lyrica and sodium diclofenic but now I am down to just the diclofenic (2-3 times a day) as the lyrica never worked and the bad muscle spasms or gone. That was definitely the best part of the 2 esi.

I am surprised the meds are so strong for the root canal when compared to the herniation and not sure about the mix or match. He told me that I would not need the diclofenic cause the lodine is an anti-infammatory but he said watch out as the vicodin will put you in a sleep, veggie state.

--any thoughts?

• i currently take7 meds for pain and other ie blood pressure cholesterol and my narcotics are very strong, oxycontin and fenatyl and i have no ga ga or veggie state or sleeping. i actually work full time and do other things that people without chronic pain do, travel,
    vicodin is a mild narcotic and the pain pill level. morphine, fenatyl, oxycontin, oxycodone, vicodin, codeine i believe in that order but if you hav eproblems talk to your doctor
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • I think you're doing pretty good and I agree with Jon that you are not on too much medication. How long did you take Vicodin? If it's been awhile then I would think you have become accustomed to it and it shouldn't leave you spaced out. I'm on several meds and take 3 different narcotic ones for pain, so you definately are not on way too many meds.
  • Are they any worried about the interaction of them?

Any bad ones?
  • If it were me, I wouldn't take the Lodine at the diclofenac (voltaren) at the same time. They're both NSAIDS and taking both basically doubles the bleeding risks associated with that drug class. :)

• JS,
    Any desire to negotiate a reduction with our doctor is a good thing only on the basis that it gives you sufficient coverage of your pain whenever possible. Most of this is trial and error and at times we all prefer to use what has worked for us, and any suggestions are only a proposal.

My strategy has been to change one thing at a time so that increases the opportunity to revert back to our original status if need be, in the past I have reduced my own volume of medication at times and unwittingly made thing far worse so I would be cautious and discuss any options prior to change.

It is reasonable to think that continually upping the volume of medication will in some way aid our overall plight and most know all these medication come with some associated symptoms, the amalgam of them is hard to endure over the longer term and I am always looking at the balance between constant fog and associated pain relief.

Many have that wish to reduce the medication they are taking and that is to be applauded, only if it does not increase the pain in the longer term as a consequence of our desire to reduce our volume to a minimum.

Well done and good luck.

• Hello my friends,I've learned in my many yrs of pain to not worry about too many meds.I take 3 different meds for pain plus meds to sleep and anm antidepressant. The meds I take allow me to work fulltime,they allow me to enjoy my grandkids growing up.They allow me to cope with being in pain.They help me to live as normal a life as someone in chronic pain can.Everyone have a great holiday season and keep that spirit high!!!!Peace and Love. Mark
  • I check all of the medications I take and read the entire physician's prescribing information. You can also ask your pharmacist about medication interactions. I've been prescribed medications that shouldn't be taken together several times!

I am on so many meds now- it isn't TOO many unless some of them aren't helping or are harming you. If they are all doing their job, it's just enough :)

• I was concerned about the drug interaction as 2 were prescribed for my root canal and the other was the last drug I was using to help deal with the herniation. Luckily the root canal has seemed to stop hurting after two days but I have to be honest I find it amazing that for a root canal they will give me

Lodine 400 mg

While for my herniation I only get diclofenic and yet the herniation would be something I would think they give me the above instead of just the 50mg diclofenic. Well anyway do not need to use them I guess I could keep them around for emergencies. People in my office are now asking if I can spare one, I could not believe they would even ask.

One other thing I found out, my stomach prefers diclofenic and not the lodine...maybe it is the dosage size.

Thank you all again....

• OMG! :jawdrop: People are asking you for YOUR pain meds.!? Unreal! If you think of doing this - don't! BIG BIG problems can come from that - mostly legal ones.

I would be SO offended if someone asked for my pain meds. but that is just me ;)

Nice info here from many about what is too many meds.

I love the answers of Mark and Jon :D
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
This discussion has been closed.