Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Car Ride Home Tips?

sissyjanessissyjane Posts: 63
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm leaving tomorrow for my ACDF using my own bone. I have a three hour ride in the car, and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for the ride home after the surgery?

I'm a bit concerned about it!

• I would bring soft things to wedge yourself in place. Also some towels and a dishpan in case you get sick.
  • I would bring soft things to wedge yourself in place. Also some towels and a dishpan in case you get sick.
  • Some people have asked for extra pain medications right before discharge to kind of tide them over for the ride home.

If you have a choice of vehicles, take the one that has the best suspension. For lumbar surgeries we always suggest a large trash bag to put on the seat. It makes it much easier to reposition yourself...but I doubt that is a problem for cervical surgeries.

Good luck with your surgery!
  • right before I left I told the nurse to load me up with as much pain med as she could give me. I had a two hour ride home and didn't want to be all that conscious for it. As it was I was wide awake and babbled all the way home, but I was comfortable.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Make sure you have enough pain meds to start you off when you get home. A friend who had a 2-hour ride home after his fusion surgery, and he only had a written script for his meds, so when they finally arrived home (after several stops so he could walk around a bit) he had no pain meds and had to go to the pharmacy to get his script filled. Not the best way to do it!

Good luck,

• with the others. I am pretty sure that you will be in a neck brace after surgery so that will help to keep your neck stable.

I have about an hour and 15 min ride from my doc. He always gives me zofran for the nausea because I am prone to getting sick after surgery.

I am sure that you will still have much of the surgery meds in your system if this is out patient.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

• Hope that your surgery tomorrow goes well and that your journey home is comfortable.
    Do let us know how you get on. You will be able to give others hints of how to make it more comfortable.
  • Thanks for the tips everyone...I'm out-a-here soon. I'll be back wednesday or Thursday. Doc. said I'll be in the hospital for two or three days after surgery Monday.