Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Shoulder blade pain -- C ???

diamondeddiamonde Posts: 185
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question. I'm about 10 months post op from a double ACDF (details below). I've developed a burning pain in my shoulder blade that has me dreading the possibility of having to go back on lyrica... (effective but I like having my memory at full speed!) Anyway, I'm trying to figure out which C (C6, C7, or T1) is associated with shoulder blade pain. Anyone out there know? I've checked the videos and articles on the site but i'm still unclear.

Thanks everyone,
L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD

• Diamonde,

Do a search for "Dermatome Map", and you will see a mapping of what nerve levels serve which areas of our bodies. Keep in mind, there is a little bit of an overlap of the "lines" as drawn, as each of us is wired a little bit differently. I hope it helps you. I know for me, My C6 and C7 nerve roots were the cause of my shoulder blade pain. Take care.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I get the shoulder blade pain as well as around the top of my rib cage from a T1 nerve root. Make sure you are looking at nerve root and not vertabra. Wikipedia has a pretty good map that shows what goes where. There is a lot of cross over from c7 to t1 and I am sure others as well.
  • Diamonde, been a while, sorry to see you posting too :(

The shoulder blade is my nemesis right now, I swear If cutting it off would stop this pain I'd do it.

This is the 3rd out of the last 5 days it has been brutal. Feels like someone has slide a knife under it and is slowly trying to saw it off, a very Dull knife!

I fractured a piece off of C7 during the accident.
    the SCS covers my shoulder pain and I can get other areas covered, but not this one. I also understand your not wanting to go back on Lyrica, maybe there is another answer this time?

I know, I think I know, you have a hard time getting into see a doctor, hope you can get an answer soon.
  • My surgeon said shoulder pain is from the T1 nerve root. The MRI shows no problem there. He says its still post op pain. I had a Post. Cerv. Foram. - C5-6 & C6-7, 7 mos ago. Diamo, being 10 mos post op, you are still recovering from the surgery itself. Deep, deep tissue massage helps, only from a qualified real pro at it. Oh, heating pad OR heat patches feel good too. Kris, I hope your surgeon will do this T1 area "endoscopically".