Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

leocat46lleocat46 Posts: 125
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Health Insurance Issues
well everyone , i got my 1st DENIAL letter today! :''( :''( ~X( ~X( i guess i should have expected it, from what everyone says almost everyone gets turned down at first. But it doesn't make it feel any better, as i was reading the letter , i kind of just went numb, i am from Ohio. i applied 6/2/09 . have been off work since may 28th of 2008. with 3 surgeries, and RSD and set in, and progressed to other parts of my body now. i pretty am much worse off now then i was when when i applied. i appled without a lawyer , now we are getting one, i am thinking about using allsup, does everyone think they would be good? or used them? the town i am from has no good lawyers close to me. i want to choose one that knows about RSD. is it hard to deal with a lawyer that is long distance? i am so upset, and my letter did say that all the evidence i had turned in was true, that i do suffer from all those things, and i am definatley depressed , and cannot handle any kind of stress with a job. i do not understand their thinking, they contradict themselves so bad. they agree and that i cannot do all the things listed due to all my conditions. i had 10 different drs. and hospitals, report. but yet they will not give a favorable decision! i am sorry for going on so long, i know some of you have been thru the same, but excuse me, but it sucks. Life sucks, i am tired of telling my 3 kids no for everything, going to agencies begging for help for utilities, etc. stretching groceries, i just want my old life back, and i know it will never happen, but at least SSD could have took a load off. as i told my daughter Merry Christmas Jackie, (me) i will stop talking for now. thanks for listening. look forward to some responses please. thanks Leo

• So sorry you were turned down. Getting a lawyer is the best thing you can do right now. I used a long-distance group and it worked out well. Does one of your doctors tell you that you are disabled? If so, make sure they filled out the form that social security sent. You should be able to get a copy of this from your doctors that SS contacted. It will give you a better idea of what your doctors said to SS.

Best to you,

• my first time too. Keep trying.... I'm so sorry as I know how frustrating it is.

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Allsup is a well known firm of disability attorneys. They do a lot of work with large disability insurance companies in helping the people on LTD to get SSDI(so that shows you how experienced they are). When someone has LTD anything they get from SSDI reduces what the LTD carrier has to pay to the employee, thus disability insurance carriers are very eager to get SSDI approved for it's claimants. I had worked with them in the past when I was in the disability claim industry.

2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • to hear this. I know how disappointing it can be but I also was denied 2 times before an administrative law judge approved me.

Do get an attorney. I have heard that Allsup amd Binder and Binder are good.

Sometimes with enough evidence an attorney can ask an ALJ to reverse the decision without waiting for a hearing. Most folks do get 1 more denial and then you are able to request a hearing.

I know that it is so hard but don't give up. If you are able to get by until you are approved hopefully the back pay will make up for some of your struggles.

Hang in there.

Also if you have questions jeauxbert used to work for SSD and has been great at answering questions and guiding us through the process.
  • OUCH! So sorry to hear that!

I have a question: What was their reason for turning down your claim for disability? Did you see a sentence similar to this: "We realize your condition is severe and prevents you from working at this time; however, your condition is expected to improve and you should be able to perform some type of work within 12 months from the date of your last surgery (or June, 2010)"?

Just curious.
  • but it happens to most of us, keep your head up, get a good attorney, and you will succeed! It just takes time.
  • thanks for all responses , but mine did not mention that sentence at all. it said " you said you were diabled due to rsd,spinal stenosis,fibro,and depression. the medical evidence does show you do suffer from those physical conditions which can cause you problems with heavy activities. however, yu are still able to sit,stand,walk for reasonable amount of time. you do suffer from depression which can cause you problems with handling stress. however you can complete tasks and follow instructions. we realize that your condition prevents you from doing your past jobs, if any, but it does not prevent you from doing other work which is less strenuous and stressful. these people are crazy, who do you think is going to hire me based on all my limitations? first of all i would not pass a drug test. no stress these days in the public does not exist. my whole spine is on fire with burning pain the majority of the time, like right now. my rsd has moved to my feet, therefore making it hard for me to stand in one spot for very long, they burn. well i am moving forward with the next step. I contacted Allsup yesterday, and spoke with a representive, based on the questions i answered she said that they will take my case. i am getting papers and faxing them back,signed to file as soon as possible. i hope i made the right decision. it seems like nothing goes right for me. thanks again Leo
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    The issue most people come up against with SS is the very stringent definition of disability that SS uses. If they find you could work in any capacity the claim is often denied. This is different from employer or state based STD and employer or individual based LTD which first look at your ability to do your specific occupation. SS looks at the possibility of you working at any occupation even if you used to earn $45,000/yr but now could only work at a minimum wage job. Thus the struggle faced by most applicants. And this is why I urge people to use an attorney.

Please keep me updated as to how your interaction with Allsup goes. I may need to apply for SS soon (my LTD carrier will likely make me do so) and if I get to choose the attorney I want to get feedback from people like you who use the large companies such as Allsup,

2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos