Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

happyHBmomhhappyHBmom Posts: 2,070
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Chronic Pain

I started on lyrica almost a month ago and finally ramped up to 225 mg/day last week. I am just amazed at the results! I have been having these bursts of energy, all fueled by the fact that things just don't hurt so badly all of the time!

I've also gone from Tramadol 50 mg 2x/day and one Vicodin to one tramadol and vicodin only every few days!

I am excited because I might even be able to get back to my classes! I had to drop out because I couldn't sit for more than 5 minutes.

I know a lot of you have tried Lyrica and not had any luck. I just feel very lucky!

• That's terrific. It works well for some people. You are one of the lucky ones!! It is amazing how well one can feel when free of pain.
  • hi! :H i am on 300mg of Lyrica daily and have never had such pain relief for my sciatica!! :D i am so happy you are having such good results as well.. i had to get over the side effects but once i did that i was so glad i did!! =D> i hope you meet with continued success!! :D Jenny :)
  • My side effects mostly lasted only a day or two when I would raise the dose. I only had dizziness and numbness- I still get numbness sometimes, but it isn't too bad.

Reading the side effect profile made me very nervous to take it, but I am glad I gave it a try!

• started on lyrica 300mg 3 times a day ..fantastic!! for a week then pain back big time ..see doctor ..6oomg 3 times a day ..fantastic ...about 2 months later i am 40lbs over weight and the pain is coming back ..Carry on with lyrica for another 2 months more weight gain and even worse start to have water retention big time ..so much so i could hardly breath ..see doctor ..off lyric as an emergency ..lost excess water over a 48 hour period but 3 years later still over weight ..if you find that your hands are swelling and you have any breathing problems go see you doctor ...i hope that you dont have a reaction like i did but if you do dont ignore the signs
  • weight and memory issues.

Straker I got the swelling of the feet and hands. Kind of itchy hot feeling. That went away within a week or two. No breathing issues. That was on 150MG.

Gained almost 30lbs in 3 months too. I will get this fat off once I show fusion taking hold and I can do cardio.

Worst problem for me was short term memory. I called them "stupid pills". That is how they made me feel.

They do help with nerve pain for me but wasn't great.

Some people do better on neurontin or one of the other cousins in that family of meds.

Glad it helps you that much.
  • Yes, my appetite is out of control- if I don't watch it I will gain lots of weight!

As for the memory problems, I was having those before so not such an issue ;)
  • I just started Lyrica a few days ago. He started me on 75 mg. The first night I was great! I had been freezing and was laying in bed and all of a sudden my whole body just got so warm! I couldn't believe how great I felt, NO pain! I could move without saying ouch!
    The next day wasn't as good for some reason....hasn't worked that great since actually. I figured it probably takes a week or two for it to work..not sure? I'm really hoping it does work. I had some swelling the first morning, my eyes and hands were the worse, haven't had much swelling since. I started taking 2 a day as he told me to but not as good.
    We'll see what happens in a week or so I guess...any advice? ~X(
  • Only that the recommended daily amount is 75 mg 3x/day, so I'm not sure whether once a day will do much for you. I started at 50 mg once a day and ramped up.

I still have good days and bad days, but on the whole my pain is still quite improved!
  • Im taking the 75mg twice a day now. Don't want to ask him to up it just yet. Just really hoping it will work.
    Just tired of being in pain!!
    And I just moved from AZ to IL so I'm not used to this winter weather yet.
    As soon as I got here I could feel the humidity just pushing me down! Now I'm trying to get used to this cold weather :(
  • I had the same experience as DailyPain33. I had sciatica pain so bad that I was hospitalized. After 3 different docs examined me, the Pain Mansgement Nurse suggested Lyrica and in 1.5 days the pain went from a 10 to a 2! I truly thought it was a miracle. I checked out of the hospital and now that I'm on day 6 it seems to have less relief. I also have a side effect of a tingling/burning around my ankle and lower shin.

Love to hear more about other's Lyrica experiences. The sciatica is caused by two herniated discs and I am strongly considering surgery (doc recommends fusion) after dealing with pain for more than 8 weeks.

• To happyHBmom & DailyPain33.

Have you ever tried neurontin, which is the precursor to lyrica and supposedly has less side-effects?
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,832
    I started with that about 4 years ago. Initially it was 75mg 2x a day. That seemed fine, it handled my nerve pain. Then the doctor doubled the dose. I started to get drowsy all the time. I could fall asleep at the dinner table.
    My legs from the knee down started to swell. My feet almost doubled in size and I had what many describe as sausage toes.
    We dropped the dose back to 75mg 2x day and all the problems went away.
    But that was enough for me to not use Lyrica anymore.
    Since then I have been using Neurontin (now up to 2600mg) and it helps my nerve pain and I have had no negative side effects
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • after my first fusion about 10 years ago, i woke up about 2 weeks after surgery screaming due to INTENSE pain in the upper part of my right leg. I still have some pain after all this time and can not wear pants. i have to wear shorts. well dr put me on one of those and i had horrible side effects. and i still had to increase dose. i quit and have used oxycontin and fenatyl suckers since and these seem to help me the most. in my cynical mind sometimes i think when a dr prescribes lyricra they do it because they don't want to give out narcotics. but that is just my bias. i have never had luck with them or naisds with my back pain. like always, some of us can use them and others can't. i'm glad those who can have had good results with them. those who take lyrica, do you also take narcotics with them or just the lyrica?
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • My Dr. said she uses both Lyrica and Neurontin, but has had better luck with Lyrica. But just like any med, different things work for different people (I also had good luck with Tramadol, which I know just doesn't help a lot of people).

Terror, the lyrica has helped me much more than narcotics and with fewer side effects. Sorry it didn't work for you :( I know the rate of side effects is really high, which is why I felt particularly lucky!

• I'm happy for anyone who has positive results with Lyrica. It was a horror story for me. I had to get off of it, it did nothing for my pain. I felt like life was not in realtime...everything was in slow motion as side from the uncontrollable twitching. It was definitely not for me. :(
This discussion has been closed.