Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Happy holidays,and let's keep positive!

texascowgirlttexascowgirl Posts: 535
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have found it easy to slip into a funk-waiting for surgery-during this holiday time-----being an active person,I miss being able to "move and groove" like I am used to doing. Not being able to trick or treat with my grandchildren,run and play with them,is hard. We live on a farm,and I love going out in the pasture to play with the "girls"(donkeys) and the "boys"(goats)--and also with our 70 lb. Ridgie.It is easy to slip into a pitty party.But, as I read on here,you have to accept what is now,and that it will be better.So especially to those who are new to this site as I am-----keep your chin up and enjoy the Holidays!(I am working on it too!)

• Hello Tejas,

So I take it you've not had your surgery yet? That is an anxious time indeed! Here I am, about a month and a week after an L5-S1 fusion and I find what you say about keeping positive is more important than ever. I'm looking forward to Christmas and hoping to get to go and see some of my family. Some days it's a challenge to keep the chin up, but you are so right about it being important to both our mental and physical well being.

Peace & love
  • Hi Aaron!It sounds like you are doing well---my 2nd spinal fusion is Dec.31-I had one about 2 years ago as well.I think waiting is almost worse than the actual surgery-well,you know-I hope you have a great time with family and friends!
  • The holidays (for those of us in the northern hemisphere) are a time when we can enjoy the delights of being inside. Gathering with friends and family and sharing cozy times is always fun and, very fortunately, doesn't require a lot of physical activity! It's been super chilly here (at least for us) lately, so staying in and bundling up is just fine.

Good luck with your surgery Tejas - the waiting is often the hardest part!

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Yea, sure enough the waiting is bad. Sounds like
    you have experience with both the surgery and the wait. I was thinking, sure the wait is nerve wracking, but I gotta say, that first week after was a real doozy! I'm sorry that you have to undergo a 2nd fusion. With something that traumatic, it seems fair that once in a life would suffice! Ha.

You're right, I am doing well. 'Well' being a relative term. I feel blessed to be doing as well as I am considering I have a back full of screws and various hardware. My X-ray looked like the bolt bin at Lowe's!

The worst I have now is a severe dose of cabin fever. I, like you, am so used to working and being active. Like many, I've worked all my life. Since I was 14,(I'm 46 now) I've either worked or been in the military ever since. I'm still employed by my company, but I am not doing anything. I thought "well a little time off might be fun." That wore out quickly! I never thought I'd say it, but I'm ready to get back to work.

But, in the mean time, I guess I'll just heal as best I can so when the time comes, I can rock and roll! Sorry for rambling..as I said, getting bored!

Drive fast & take chances,
  • It helps to ramble-ramble on!I am 59,but 20 in my mind,don't you know----it is supposed to be 70 here today(north texas),but it might be 30 tomorrow--texas is a place where you leave the house with shorts,flipflops,coat,and gloves---One thing that is helping is the fact I paint,weave,do pottery,etc---so I can keep busy---I think it is like telling a child you can't do something,then you really want to!Thank you for all the comments and support,Jeannie
  • What a wonderful thread you have started. It is so true that we need to keep our chins up and remain as positive as we possibly can. I have found that coming here is a great way to do that....the member community here is absolutely amazing and full of some very strong individuals that do not let pain rule their lives.

I wish you the best of luck as you wait for your surgery date and also after your surgery. Do as your doctor tells you , no over doing it!!!

Have a most wonderful Holiday and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to one and all!!!! If I can ever be of any assistance to anyone or if you just need some one to talk to then I am always just a PM away!!! Take care everybody.....Miki
  • texascowgirl said:
    .... and enjoy the Holidays!
    It's funny..... we(my family) look forward to getting together for the holidays and we do have a great time, but after 3 days, we all just want to get the heck outta town and away from each other. =))

On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Looks like we've got something in common, I will most likely have my surgery in the new year and I also have Ridgies.

I'm finding it very difficult to get into the Christmas spirit this year. Hopefully as hubby and I are now both at home together for the first time in 3 weeks we can get the tree and decorations up and it will feel more like Christmas. Got the chocolate christmas cake (chocolate and dried fruit go together surprisingly well) so I'm looking forward to tucking into that.

Happy holidays everyone
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    The best and worst out of people. But for this thread, lets all look at all the good and positive we have.
    Sure many of us may not be able to do some of the things we used to and we miss that, but as long as we are able to logon to here daily or weekly, we have enough to keep our body and minds alert.
    I have always tried to look at others and see what they have to go through. Doing that, I always feel so lucky that I can still get around the way I do. And I feel lucky in having a family that is behind me 100% of the time.
    I always try to count my blessings at this time of year and know that in the upcoming weeks, regardless of what religion or nationality you are, there will be time for family, friends and sharing love and happiness.

Love is a word that back in the 60's went so well with Peace & Love. Over the years with some of the problem spots in the world, the word Love seems to not be used as often. I firmly believe the more we use the word Love and demonstrate it, the more it will come back to us.

While our children were growing up, my wife instilled a sense of caring about others. I am fortunate that my kids today (31 and 35) still understand that meaning and always do something for others. Be it a day/night at a homeless shelter dishing out food, collecting toys for children that would normally not have any, etc.

Its so easy to Receive the Love and Warmth from others, we enjoy how that feels.
    Every day, try to do something that Gives that same Love and Warmth. I can guarantee you that you will feel so much better doing that
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • so well said-----I am so thankful that I am able to have surgery,and not live this way forever----I am thankful that I am not "sick",but just need some repairing-I am thankful I have a loving husband,children,grandchildren,and friends,and a roof over our heads-and all have jobs and enough to eat---I am thankful that the technology has come so far-what would us spineys have done 30-40 years ago?