Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Having Back surgery Jan 20 anterior/posterior 360

ceecee41cceecee41 Posts: 114
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey can anyone tell how long this surgery will take and if someone can share there experience with me .Very nervous never had back surgery going in to repair my L/5 S/1

• Don't let your nerves get to you too bad, it will be okay. I am two weeks out from the same surgery you are having, only I had a 2 levels done. Honestly, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I know everyone is different but I think if you go in with a positive attitude you will do fine. Be patient with yourself and the recovery process. I was in the hospital for 4 days, which I was very thankful for. I am taking my daily walks, short walks but they are very important. Hmmm, I can't think what else to say other than don't get too worked up about it, just keep focused on the outcome and how you will feel better. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, unfortunately this was my 5th spine surgery so I know more that I would like to. Hang in there, you will be just fine.
  • Thanks alot for the encoragement how long were you in surgery?
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    The good news is you won't know the time is passing - even when you get into recovery. I feel bad for those who wait for us in the waiting room as we get to sleep through the stress :-)
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • My surgery took 8 hours, though there were some complications I had with a vein, and they had to remove and repair the hardware from a previous fusion that failed that I had 10 months ago.

While it is a big surgery and nothing to be taken lightly, I don't find that this recovery is any more difficult than the previous. I had started walking several times a day from the day after surgery. I stopped wearing a brace and started PT last week.

While I still take percocet and robaxin a couple times a day, I am not on a regular schedule of medication.

I was in the hospital 5 days and woold suggest having someone with you for 2 full weeks if possible after you return home from the hospital. Make sure to get your house post-op ready by reviewing the great lists of must-haves in the threads above.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions,

Best wishes... Keep in touch with posting.

• How do you get that ticker thing on your profile?
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Go to TickerFactory.com. You can create a ticker and then they give you all this URL language for "blogs and boards" and you can put it in your signature of this site.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Thanks so much I appreciate it I am so ready for this surgery I have so much pain.
  • Thanks so much I appreciate it I am so ready for this surgery I have so much pain.
  • Here is my experience with 360-L5-s1 fusion surgery.
    I hope this helps! So far the brace has been the most agrivating thing. I would do it all over again tomorrow if I needed to. I am far better off after the surgery.