Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My follow up appt

mommatialuvmmommatialuv Posts: 269
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,
I went for my follow up of my second surgery on Wed 12/16. I told my doc that I had to go back on the neurontin for RLS,I also told him I still have the same numbness, he was disappointed. He was hoping I would be much better by now. He thinks that since the Neurontin is helping the nerves are damaged, he wants to see me back in 3-4 weeks to see if there is any improvement at that time, if not he wants to do more testing, possibly another CT Myelogram, just to check for anatomical issues, he didnt mention what else if that doesnt show anything. We are back to wait-and-see.
He is very nice and seems genuinely upset that I am not healing well, he is young, and I think I am probably his first "possible FBSS" I mentioned that briefly and he said, No please stick with him, and we will figure out what is going on so it can be fixed. I told him I was OK with some more testing, but doubted I would let him, or anyone else go back in there. He said he understood, and that is not what he was thinking.
Today I had to take my little guy for his annual well child physical. He needed 4 immunizations and a blood draw (he has some symptoms of diabetes and we needed to check)well after, "holding him still in my lap" for all 5 sticks, he is a strong almost 5 year old, I was so sore, and hurting so badly I became physically ill when we got home, nausea and diarrhea, I took an extra pain pill and we took a nap, which helped.
Thank you all for your support and kindness,
Merry Christmas,
May God bless and keep you,

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm sorry that you're continuing to have problems but it sounds like your doctor is really concerned and determined to make things better for you. Hopefully after another couple of weeks things will settle down more.
    I hope your son is doing okay after his injections...ouch. Take care and have a Happy Holiday!

• I know you'd be disappointed if I didn't write that you are still early in your recovery, and that it is much too early to panic over things not being "right." I know you were hoping the bone spurs were causing the bone and that as soon as they were removed, you would be something close to pain-free...That hasn't happened, yet, but it may. You need to just take it day by day and not look too far ahead. Try to stay positive and just assume that you will get better and that healing will take some time.

You are very lucky to have a surgeon who will see it through with you. Some are eager to get rid of a patient once it looks like things are not working out...sad, but true. It sounds like your surgeon is going to keep looking for answers and will do what it takes to find some answers. Perhaps you'll need a couple caudal injections to settle things down -- it could be something as simple as inflammation....

Please try to relax and enjoy the holidays as best you can. Your big girls can pick up the slack for you, and your little boy will still have that wonderful childlike awe and excitement of anticipation, so you hopefully will be able to enjoy the season.

I have a new patient consultation with a neurosurgeon on Dec. 30th -- for a fresh set of eyes looking at my issues. I hope it is a worthwhile experience and not a waste of time as the last one was.

Take good care,
  • I am sorry that you are showing little progress but it is good to hear your doctor's shared concern. Far too often, they are a dismissive and just tell you to give it time and not to worry. I'm glad he is attentive to your concerns.
  • First let me say, Damions lab work came back fine, what a Godsend, relief. Thanks for the prayers.

I am again coming to terms with the fact that I may never have my "normal" mobility again. I also found out that my car cannot have a hitch installed that will hold a scooter lift and scooter. It is not strong enough. So my hubby and I will discuss after the holidays what to do next. My car wont even be paid off until March 2012, and I really do not want to have payments any longer then that.
    I could start using his truck but he hates my car. He has a motorcycle he uses any time it is dry and above 40 degrees. We have ramps to put my scooter in the back of his truck, but he has to move them as I am not strong enough. He and i do not always want to go to the same places. Oh well, we will make decisions after the holidays.
    I have my neurontin dosage back up to where it was pre 2nd surgery, and for some reason, my back hurt really bad today, maybe I over did somehow yesterday. I don't know. Every time I eat My stomach acts crazy, first nausea then diarreha. I hope it is just a "bug" and will pass soon.
    I went for a massage today, it was heavenly, :) My therapist could tell my body is over compensating in many ways for my back and left leg weakness. She never gets close to the incision or hardware, mostly neck, upper back, arms and legs, but minimal manipulation/movement of the legs, just gentle "rubbing"
    Well I hope you all are ready for the big guy in the red suit :) I am as ready as I am going to get.
    Merry Christmas,
    God Bless and Keep You,
  • Shirley,

So sorry to hear that you are not having a smooth recovery. I am hoping they will find something "little" and you will be back on the fast track. I will keep you in my thoughts and hope things start coming together for you!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I'm also sorry to hear about your rough recovery. About the car thing, can you trade it in for something else that's cheaper? It sounds like your husband might have to just get over hating your car and take it for the time being, until something else can be worked out, or at least until it's summer time.

I hope you have a great, pain & care free holiday! Feel better.