Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Successful Microdiscectomy

PALPPAL Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello all. I had a microdiscectomy on October 7th of 2009 to correct a sever herniation at L5/S1 that had been causing severe sciatic pain down my right leg for about 8 months. I had actually herniated the disc about 10 years prior to this but it was treated with more conservative treatments and I was able to regain full mobility and had no residual nerve pain.

Immediately after the surgery I felt some relief. I had back pain at the surgical site as expected but overall felt much better. I was concerned about some residual sciatic pain that only occurred if I stretched the nerve (ie: bend at the waist stretch hamstring) but was told that the nerve was severely pinched and could take months to heal.

I started physical therapy about 5 weeks post-op and while I have not regained a full range of motion due to tight hamstrings and some nerve pain when stretched to the max, I pretty much feel as good as new. I am still very aware of my body mechanics and am careful not to do anything too risky, my doctor has signed off on activities such as bike riding, swimming, light weight lifting, etc. He advised that I wait about six months from the surgery date to participate in any risky activities such as golf, heavy lifting or jogging.

My only regret is that I did not have the surgery sooner as I have truly gotten my life back! Good luck to everyone and I only hope that your surgeries are as successful!

• it is encouraging to hear a good result now and then. it seems so many of us here have conditions that are difficult to heal or cure.
    you went through ten years of dealing with disk issues and finally your surgeon brought relief.
    if you hang out hear you will hear lots of bad stories but i will be happy to keep hearing your story for a long, long time. so please keep us company.
  • Thank you for your post!!!! Its so encouraging to hear such positive reports. Even if my procedure was different from yours....dang, its good to hear that eventually it is over! ha ha....I'm glad for you and especially glad to hear how quick it was. My husband gets sciatic pain from a herniated disks for 3 years now. As a heating contractor, he does a lot of heavy lifting. I'm not sure he'd be willing to do this, so I'm going to let him read your post. I think its better to pay now and play later, than play now and pay later.

Have a great holiday. Your news has made me glad today!
  • Hey this is great news!
    I had a microD back in August for same disc.
    Unfortunately, I'm headed back in for a revision but your story has me more optimistic that if I'm extra careful it has hopes of making me feel better.

I had years of sciatic pain but wasn't hurting for 7 years. This past summer I was getting cramping in my leg when running and wrote it off to muscle cramps and increased potassium. Well, a month later, the sciatic nerve was hurting and then 5 days after than, I felt a pop.

In my case, they think I either re-herniated before scar tissue formed or there was a 2nd floating mass out of site. They are going to try the revision and told me I need to be even more careful. If it works I will be relieved b/c if not, I guess my only other option is live with the pain or go for fusion.

Definitely heed the doctors advise. I read that it take at least 3 months for the inner incision to fully heal.

I met a collegue that had the surgery nearly 10 years ago. He said he had to revise his life just a little (removed impact workouts) and occassionally gets what he calls phantom pains but is generally really happy with the results.

Congrats . . super happy and glad you posted!
  • That is wonderful that the micro d worked for you. It's great when we get the relief we are seeking!

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.