Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic pain

ceecee41cceecee41 Posts: 114
Hey everyone please send a word of encouragement I am having surgery on 20 Jan 2010 and the road to the surgery is hard my pain is so bad. I wish I could get a earlier surgery I stay in so much pain I don't sleep had to be prescribed sleeping pills to get to sleep. Can someone please share there experience

• I don't sleep at night due to pain and just not able to sleep.
    I'm having TLIF on Jan 18th 2010. I have had back problems sence 1997.

some nights i get up and do stuff around the house. or watch tv, so my husband can sleep.

I try sipping warm water or even tea, that helps sometimes.

my doctor will not give me sleeping pills, at the least you have them to help you a little.

sincerely, Fr0ggylover
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    I would gladly send some words of encouragement.
    But right now, I do not know what surgery you are going in for. Plus how long have you been dealing with your current problem.
    And what other treatments have you had...

All of that makes a big difference, not in words of encouragement, but in terms of understanding what a person is going through.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I know how hard it is to suffer with pain while waiting for surgery. I can and do empathize with you! I'm thinking of you, hoping you can do whatever it takes to keep your mind busy so you are not completely concentrating on the pain all the time. I wish you speedy days to surgery and pain relief. I would(and still do this) watch the tv on mute while reading the captioning, plus turn the channels frequently finding whatever I can to keep busy. Somehow that works for awhile because it makes me concentrate more on that instead of the pain plus it doesn't bother my family all night. I couldn't sleep at all before surgery. I'm much better but I still have problems that keep me up reading the tv, books, whatever,to keep me busy until I am comfortable enough to fall back asleep.

Good luck in the followong days. I hope you have family and friends to help you through the days before and after surgery! Take care!