Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please help, advice anything...

pinknwhtrosesppinknwhtroses Posts: 14
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have a bunch of questions for those who have had PLIF surgery or any type of back surgery. I had my L4/L5 L5/S1 PLIF on October 14th 2009. I am still in pain, but not the type of pain that I had before the surgery. I am almost 100% sure that I have fibromyalgia also, but that's another subject. Right now I am trying to find out about others and their symptoms after surgery. My boyfriend seems to think that I can just do anything. I am so sick of fighting with him about this. I don't feel normal, I am in pain 24 hours a day, I am exhausted to to the bone, I have no appetite, I itch all over, I can't sleep at night, I finally pooped the other day thanks to this stuff called magnesium citrate, I still use a cane, its only been 2 months, am I on track?

1) How long till you can stop the no BLT?

2) Anyone else feeling different pain?

3) Anyone else tired?

4) Anyone here have fibromyalgia?

• you have had major surgery-I was still using a walker at 2-21/2 months-----being tired is normal! If you are still in alot of pain,please call your doctor,because everyone's experience is different.People who have not had this surgery have no idea what it is like-you go at your pace and what works for you!
  • pain medication can make you itch-also your skin is probably drier just because of surgery-try a shower soap that has oil in it,and really thick lotion-that has helped me
  • Pink, you had a 2-level fusion-- a HUGE procedure--2 months out is very very early yet. You will have a lot of strange pains/weird sensations/different pains etc. A lot of it is from wrecked muscles, ticked-off nerve roots, etc. Everything was disturbed & angry & you are feeling your body's reaction to a very invasive surgery.

You will be exhausted, sore, stiff, achy, (itching could be from meds or ??) & not "normal" for quite awhile yet. And not just in your back but all over b/c your body mechanics have been changed & you need to get used to how that feels. It feels lousy, right? I felt off-balance, stiff, achy, clumsy & just "strange" for many months.

I agree -- if you need stronger pain meds, call your doc. And keep using the "bathroom" aids, as pain meds can slow you down in that dept also.
    And tell your boyfriend that unless he's also had spine surgery, he has NO IDEA how you should be feeling or what you should be doing. As Texascowgirl says, go at your own pace (SLOW) and do or don't do whatever works for you.

Re: fibro, my NS thought that also, but it was just sheer exhaustion from surgery & unless you still feel this bad by Easter, you might want to persue some other DX. But for now, just rest/walk/rest---ask for a sleeping pill if you need to or try taking plain old benedryl--might also help w/ the itching--if it wouldn't interact w/ whatever pain meds you're on.

And I was told not to BLT until signs of a semi-solid fusion showed on the X-rays, which was at about 6 months..then just VERY GENTLE movement, still nothing major & certainly no lifting or twisting, just a bit of bending @ the knee. At 1.5 years, NS gave me premission to do a little BLT-ing, but not to get carried away. You'll have to be careful your whole life now, in that dept. I have a lifetime 10# lifting restriction & I'm OK w/ that.

Take it easy--you don't want to repeat this experience!

This can't be rushed. It is a long, slow, boring recovery. But you must "do" it. Time will pass, you'll be better next year. This is an ordeal in months, not days or even weeks.

Re-frame. Re-invent.

Good to have you here! I like your name: Pink Roses! A beautiful image! Get some rest now.

• Pink - what Lakeside said is spot on.

I too have had a 2-level fusion. It's been almost 18 months. My dr. never did release me to lift more than 25lbs. I can conservatively bend, lift and twist - that was at a year - when my fusion was looking solid.

Have you tried Melatonin? It is an OTC supplement that really helps with sleeping and even works on any moodswings. I did still have unexplainable sudden depression episodes, but they went away at about 9-12 months post-op. They never lasted, just sudden 'brick walls' of overwhelming sadness that would last a few hours to a day or two.

The itchiness was horrible - I remember it now that you mention it. I bought a bamboo back scratcher and it was such a help! After I went of my meds the itching went away.

I also had a dear friend that had fibro (she eventually died of an accidental oxycontin/ambien overdose - not to scare you) but if you really do have it, I suggest you do EVERYTHING you can to walk, walk, walk, walk, walk! Get oxygen to those muscles - your back and everywhere. It's been years, and I don't know all the new findings with fibromyalgia, so I may be outdated on my suggestion - but hey, I think that walking would always be a good suggestion.
  • lakeside-I love your "reframe,re-invent"--I am having my 2nd spinal fusion next week-my first was 2 years ago. The new fusion is right below the previous. I hope this is not a sign that my back is just breaking down--but I do know that in the last 2 years I have moved furniture,helped build fences,carried heavy grandbabies,carried a very big dog-you get the picture! I know I cannot live that life anymore,and it is hard---but I am working on "re-inventing" my life-Thank you!