Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

TERRIBLE Pain. Need Advise...

LumpyLLumpy Posts: 103
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello All,

I've been over in the neck pain forum for the most part with issues at C6C7. But now I have a new one that is making me forget all about my neck and I need some experienced advise. The neck has become a chronic, but bearable issue with nerve pain, BTW.

Yesterday I was standing and playing with my dog and I reached out quickly to grab his toy on the floor. My lower back locked up with the worst pain I could imagine. I managed to get upright and started gently stretching and moving until I could walk upright. I spend the day walking when I could, and icing on occasion. I took a hydorcodone and a skelaxine and went to bed. This morning I spent the better part of 45 minutes in complete agony trying to get out of bed. I have "thrown out" my lower back before (probably once every 5 or 6 years) but not like this. This is by far the worst back pain I have felt -- a consistant 8 and an intermittent 10. I will attempt to call my DR when the office opens.

In the meantime, anyone have any advice about what I can do to ease the pain, or at least keep from aggrevating it? Pain is somewhere in the lower thorasic, upper lumbar area. My left foot tingled after I hurt it yesterday.

THX for any advise ...

Wayne (AKA Lumpy)

• I should correct this. It isn't upper lumbar, lower thorasic. The pain is in the lumbar region -- mid to lower, from what I can tell.
  • I'm sorry you're having so much pain other than icing heat may be comforting. I hope you see your Doctor so he can assess you and maybe order tests. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Nice to see you. I don't have any solutions for you but I understand having cervical problems and then having lumbar problems. I going through that myself.

What exactly is the pain you're experiencing? Does it hurt when you bend forward or backwards? Do you have pain in your legs at all? Does it hurt worse to sit, stand or walk?

Please let us know what your doc says. I hate to think that you're having lumbar problems now.

• Hi Cath, Thanks for your reply. The pain is better than this morning. Thankfully! I'm not a wimp, by any means, but I was about ready to go to the emergency room this morning. My DR's office is closed until next week.

I've been sitting in a straight back chair, stretching and walking, and it has helped. I'm still walking slowly and as if I have a broomstick stuck...well, never mind :)

The pain is very sharp and right on my spine when I move wrong -- right at the waistline. Sitting is the most comfortable. Standing and walking are both painful. I have most of the muscles stretched out, so that helps. I can now bend forward. It hurts to bend backward. Side-to-side is tolerable now. I’m hopeful that I can wait this one out and see what happens in the next few days. No leg pain, just some slight tingling on the bottom of one foot.

On a lighter note, after I managed to get out of bed and was leaning on the wall trying to move inch-by-inch, my wife called my 1st grader into the bedroom to get something. Then she added, “Be careful not to knock your daddy over!” I had to laugh at that one, but ooooohhhh it hurt so much too laugh. LOL

This discussion has been closed.