Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Reflecting on Spine-Health

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Matters of the Heart
Like Jim who posted in Chronic Pain, I’ve been reflecting a lot lately about Spine-Health - what it means to me and perhaps to some or all of you. Because it’s that time of year, I thought I’d take the time and try to express how I’m feeling, for what it‘s worth.

Every person, at one point or another, finds something in their life that they can say has made a huge difference in how they feel, how they express themselves, and how they feel about others. I believe that Spine-Health is that for many of us. Because of this site, we’re able to sometimes lessen our pain or learn to deal with it better, we’re able to express more clearly what we need or feel because we know that what we say will be understood, and we’re able to realize what chronic pain does to us and in doing so, we can empathize with what it does to others.

Lately there are so many new members who’ve told us that this site has been a god-send for them, that because of the sincere caring, understanding, support and knowledge they’ve received from the members, they’re able to get through their spine problems, whatever they are, because we are here for them in every way we can be. Even being in our own world of pain, when we see a new member post who is as confused, scared and distressed as we can remember being when we first began our spine journey, or when an old member posts and needs help in some way, members never hesitate to jump in and share of themselves without question and with heartfelt advice and encouragement. Just how awesome is that?

I wonder what it would be like to be sitting here alone, feeling the CP beast trying to break down my door, and having nobody in my life that could possibly understand how difficult life is. I wonder what it would be like to be facing my second surgery in 15 months and having no one to call, no one to see, just no one at all that understands how scared and alone I feel, how much I dread another procedure, surgery and recovery., and how worried I am about my future. And there’s just no point in trying to explain it to someone who hasn’t been there because they simply can’t get it, no matter how hard they might try.

I know that for me, when I’m having a busy day with my friends and family and I can feel the pain that’s going to sideline me coming on, the only two things I can think about is taking my meds and logging on to the Spine-Health forums. I know that I can make a post where I’m looking for suggestions or support and will get great responses from my Spine-Health family, but sometimes, even if I don’t feel like responding or posting at all, it makes me feel content and in some way complete to just visit here, to read other’s posts and responses, and seeing members helping members.

I suppose when you boil it all down, it really comes down to something very simple: Here on Spine-Health, we’re family. I doubt our friends and loved ones could understand the profound meaning of the friendships and strong bonds that are forged here. I’m proud to be a member of Spine-Health and I truly appreciate every member here and how you support one another without reservation and with true concern, affection and honesty.

Thank You, Happy Holidays and Cheers to all my fellow spineys. I’m hoping that you all come away with some wonderful memories from this holiday season and that 2010 finds you feeling better somewhere along the way.

• Beautifully said Cath,

Since I found this site before my latest surgery and now recovery, everything you said rings so true. I don't think I could add one thing to your comment, you did a phenomenal job putting so many feelings into words and what this site means to so many of us. Great job, and happy holidays to you and all, Lisa
  • for expressing so well what I feel about this site. Even when I feel too horrible to contribute just reading the posts gives me a sense of comfort and understanding. The gratitude at finding this site is huge and I wonder where my understanding would be without such an amazing helper.
    Merry Christmas to all and here's hoping 2010 will be a better year for all. A special thanks to the moderators and PapaRon who gave me hope when I had none. Hugs n' Loves - Paula
  • I agree with Lisa, very beautifully said Cath. It actually made me tear up. This forum has become a savior for me. Logging on here and posting about my issues or reading others' posts is really the only thing that's holding me together at the moment. I feel so close with so many spineys, I never would have imaged the impact a website could have on me. I'm very thankful. Happy holidays & happy new year to everyone on this site.
  • I was sitting here, on Christmas Eve wondering why I was ready to cry...hurting and not wanting to take my meds yet so that the family can open their few gifts tonight. Had folks come by and say that if I had be obedient, I wouldn't be in this present situation of 2 weeks extreme rest. WHAT??????? And then I log on here and I feel like there are people that somewhere and at some time will read this and say, "yeah....I understand.".

There are days I am full of great advice...hey I've been there, or, hey...this will pass. And then there are days like today where I'm like....really????? Will tonight ever end? ha ha. I'm really tired. I have a new medicataion strategy from my doctor in order to sleep and I pray that it works. so I won't be so morose in other posts.

But Cath...what you've posted is so right on! I feel like the folks on this forum understand me more than those around me who see me everyday. I know they love me, but they just don't get it. they make comments like, "how can you still have pain 7 weeks later?". I see my husband working extra hard to make of for my missing income and I despair for having made this decision at the wrong time. All these woulda coulda shoulda's.

Oh well. Thanks for posting Cath and thanks to whoever created these forums for giving people like me a place to post and vent or share or be excited or get explanations. It has been a godsend!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    about what Spine-Health means to her. Those feelings, those expressions are something that makes this site so unique.
    And its people like Cathie that understand what the site is about and what we can all get from it.
    Thank you for stating things so perfectly
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Proud to know you my friend.

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm a little late reading this but had to comment. You expressed the way I feel so much better than I ever could have done. You are a wonderful person and I am glad that I can call you my friend. You and so many others here mean so much to me. It is the people like you who make this site the great place it is.

I know that you are getting anxious about your upcoming surgery. I hope that you know that I'll be here for you in any way I can...before, during, and after your surgery. I'm looking forward to the time when you'll be painfree again. Take care my friend.

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I just saw this. And if I could write as well as you, I could sign my name to your post! Word for word, I feel the same as you! And I just don't think anyone else could have written it better.
    I come and go. And I have my ups and downs. But when ever I log on, I'll always try to read your posts. Because you always have so much to say, in just the right way!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • :D I'm late in reading your post also but your post was beautifully worded.

Without the great support I found here on Spine Health, I would have never weathered the waters of 2009. I am eternally grateful to all who contribute to making this forum "the light at the end of the tunnel" so to speak.

Wishing everyone a wonderful 2010!

• How lucky am I, after having taken a hiatus from the site the past few weeks, to come across your post first!! It definitely warmed my heart, and made me feel glad that I did decide to once again click on the well used link on my bookmarks tab. I decided to take a break after all the drama here a while ago, and have missed being here dearly, and after having a few bad never-ending days, looking for some solace, found your post. Thank you, I hope you and everyone else had a wonderful holiday, and wish you all the best for this upcoming year!!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Cath,
    Friends here accept us with all our faults we communicate in a written form that is unusual for the complexity of not being able to see each other, words do then have addition poignancy and meaning.

We can say and discuss issues that we hold dear or have not ventured to express to another even our loved ones, supporting each other infers good listening skills and reading between the words on some occasions, these are difficult to write down and reflect to ourselves all the possible outcomes.

Tolerance and acceptance are perhaps key aspects of why we here are so successful, we do not have a magic wand that can take away the pain and with that knowledge try to help all we can. We all have similar things that will happen to us and endeavour to help anyone else venturing into the unknown.

I like the fact that pain is pain irrespective of its severity or duration and treated equal in support and understanding, our friends help and support us and tell us what we need to know or do, to try and make things better, it may well not be what we want to hear and always said with helpfulness, understanding and compassion.

Many will go though the same experience and with that understanding we acknowledge how difficult it can be at times, we all become overwhelmed by the weight of imposed change and send up a flare for immediate assistance, all come running and give comfort and moral support. We can be counted on in a crisis and have experience of the frustration in trying to keep our heads above the water. Collective reassurance confirms that we are not alone, tied together in the pain we all share, our tears are eased in the knowledge that someone knows how we feel and understands.

We are all moving forward and SH helps us help ourselves.

Take care and dry those tears, together we will get through this.

• You are such a beautiful person, both inside and out.

I've read this post several times and always nod my head in agreement.

Your friendship has been such a blessing to me and I, too, feel honored to have you as my friend.

Wish we could all have a big group hug right now. I don't know what I would do without Spine-Health and the wonderful people here.

There is not enough thank-you's I can say, to all of you wonderful people.

• Cath-I just read your post-it is so beautiful---I am one of the ones who feels like this site and my spiney friends have been a godsend.My husband and family are wonderful,but they havent been through it,and anyway you dont want to whine,complain,or have my personal favorite:mini-meltdowns.But I can here---and I just wish I had found it when I began my second spinal surgery instead of just a week or so before--but I am here now!!!