Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

NEW TO FORUM young with extreme pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hey Guys i am 22 years old and have extreme lower back pain that wont go away. it happens when bending over. i get sharp pains in my lower back. They do not feel like muscle pains. I cannot go to the doctor because i have no insurance and my parents wont let me go. i get medical in 6 months due to my construction job. Yes you heard correctly construction. im in a union. i did not hurt myself at work becuase i started after the pain. my father herniated a disc years ago and still has pain. he tells me to stretch but i cant its too painful. What can this be? im in so much pain and cant get help. Im desperate

• Your pain can be from so many different things from muscular to disc. I am not a trained professional so I can't tell you what it is. It usually takes various tests and visit to the docs to determine what the source of your pain is.

Do you have any numbness or weakness in your legs?

I wish I could be more helpful, however, your best bet is to get checked out by your doc. I realize you don't have insurance but if it hurts that bad you may be causing more harm to yourself by waiting 6months and continuing with construction. That's a very hard job on your back.

I wish you the best of luck and rest your back when you can. Stretching can be helpful over time depending on what the issue is.
  • A medical professional is going to want to see what's going on inside of you.
    This is done by way of an MRI.
    (X-rays only show bone, not soft tissue like an MRI or CT scan)

If anyone gives you any resistance, they are in your way and an obstacle to your wellbeing.

I paid a little under $300 cash for my lumbar spine MRI's. Just needed a prescription for them. Got it in one quick visit, scheduled the MRI for the next available appointment and 2 days later I had the films in my hand.
    I then made appointments with appropriate medical professionals (which in my case were spine specialized surgeons) for their opinion. I did not tell any of them about the others' opinions so as not to color theirs.

I'm not saying my way is right, but I didn't want to be in pain any longer than I had to.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Your parents won't let you go? You are 22 and can do as you wish at your age. Your health and wellbeing are your responsibility, not your parents now. I recommend you go to a hospital that provides sliding fee help for someone in your situation. You need to find out what is going on with your back. Do you have any other symptoms besides pain? You need a diagnosis before proceeding with any type of treatment.

Best wishes,

• I am actually a bit like your dad that a little pain never hurt no one but that is his decision not yours. If he wants to live with the pain that is fine. I imagine at one time he did go to a doc and they basically told him nothing he could do and here are some meds and do some PT. He made the decision at that point to live with it. I know many from his time that this is just part of life so deal with it.

You are too young and do not have to deal with it the same way. You should go to a doctor as someone prescribed and get an MRI done right away. I know it may mean you going into debt but it is better to spend a little money now than alot of money and pain later.

• My dad is in a wheelchair due to low back pain and peripheral neuropathy (nerve condition in legs). He does not beleive in taking pain medications other than over the counter and doesn't feel the need to keep researching for an answer to his problem or atleast a chance to walk again and get out of his wheelchair. He has excepted this as his fate.

I on the other hand will not let myself ever stop searching for a cure or better way of life. My dad gives me heck all the time for the pain meds I take and all the different docs I see. I refuse to throw in the towel and wait for the day that I will be in a wheelchair like him as his condition is genetic and my real mother also has similar issues.

I feel that technology and science and medicine are changing and advances everyday and eventually something will be out there to help me live a more comfortable fulfilling life.

So is it worth just dealing with the pain cuz your dad does and risk possibly causing more harm to your back or are you going to get this looked at? The choice is yours and it doesn't make you weak or less of a person if you ask for help for your pain.
This discussion has been closed.