Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Weight Gain Off Work / Status Post ACDF

NewNeckTinaNNewNeckTina Posts: 16
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Diet, Nutrition, Weight Loss
I am normally an active ER nurse - now off work since September, and status post ACDF 11-30-09, and stopped smoking in 11-09 as well. I feel like a slug.. I snack as I am bored and bound to the house with a cervical collar. Suggestions to reduce the weight and increase the metabolism again?

I never had to excercise before because I worked 3 - 4 tweleve hour shifts a week running around on my feet. Now I can't get into my jeans!

I know I am limited now because of the surgery - and the collar I have to wear for at least six weeks post op. I know I am off work until 3-1-09.

• I too am a ER-RN and off work due to lumber issues. I went up 35 lbs. due to inactivity and certain meds. Walking is the best activity even if it's a treadmill. I use a recumbent bicycle and decreased portion size dramatically to lose that 35 lbs. I know it's not easy to lose weight but drink lots of water and fruit instead of juices. Good luck with what you can do. I hope you heal completely from your surgery. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Can you get some walking in daily? After my ACDF I sat around and did nothing and was so deconditioned by the time I went back to work. The next time I had neck surgery (posterior foraminotomy) I made sure to start on my treadmill at about week 2 after surgery. I started at 5 min per day for the first week. The following week (so week 3 after ACDF) I began adding 1 minute a day to my walking. BUT, I always stopped if I felt any pain or of the meds were making me too fatigued or dizzy.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • In 2008, before my back pain became severe, I would walk 20-25 miles weekly, and lost about 12 lbs in a month. Looked great, felt great. I hope I am able to do that again after my lumbar fusion on 11/23. Now I have lost 15 lbs since my surgery, but I have so much muscle atrophy, I feel so stiff. Hoping that will resolve soon.

This is just a question, I'm a nurse anesthetist and wonder about how and when others are able to get back to work? Is it typical after a cervical fusion that you can go back to a labor intense job. Will you have to lift/move patients, or do you have help with those duties?

• Lisa - that is a very good question. I am in hopes to return to the ED.. I love bedside nursing, but wonder how I will be. I have pushed through the last year - 9 months of it not properly diagnosed, so I am in hopes I will make a good recovery and come back. I hope to ski again some day too. I have heard of people doing both after such a surgery - but everyone is different.
This discussion has been closed.