Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

need surgery, no ins, denied SSD-

drumlicksddrumlicks Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Hey everyone...I have grade 2 spondylolisthesis at L5/S1
and have had it for over 2 years, & it's getting worse...
my employer fired me to get out of liability so now what?
I'm suing the company for a fusion surgery but it's not
going well at all, & as of last week I'm losing range of
motion in the left foot- I've been lucky enough to continue
working but it won't last much longer- someone
suggested following the emergency room's line of treatment
until they wind up at an MRI, revealing the need for
an operation...is this feasible? Any advice or experience
are very much appreciated...thanks much, drumlicks

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Did you have Short Term Disability (STD) or Long Term Disability (LTD) through your employer? If so and you were recently let go you may try to apply for the benefits on the grounds that you were disabled prior to being let go.

I had severe problems last Spring and my employer was essentially unable to accommodate my needs so I went out on STD. That maxed at 26 wk and now I am on LTD. Not all employers offer STD/LTD so I feel lucky. My position was later eliminated so I would have been laid off anyway as of around September.

Did you take COBRA from your employer? If you were involuntarily terminated you can get COBRA and with the latest legislation you can get it at a reduced rate for 15 months. My husband was laid off in October and is paying less for medical insurance under COBRA than he was as an active employee!
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Hi...I was fired by Carnival Cruise Lines- I was fired for absolutely no reason other than CCL wanted to get out of their ongoing treatments for me...I've gotten a lawyer and the suit was filed last summer- it's not going well, it looks like we're not even going to make it into court, so that's it...I'm investigating teaching hospitals now, and I'm pursuing treatment through the Community Health Center here in Athens, GA- maybe they can refer me to a teaching/university hospital...if not, I simply don't know what I'm going to do....thanks so much, Drumlicks
  • I was going to tell you that most University Hospitals do offer free or low cost medical care for uninsure or under-insured folks. I know that the University of Miami runs a great pain clinic here in Fla. for free, and it is an amazing place. I hope that you can get into a University hospital program in Ga. really soon. Take care and good luck to you,

• You said you were denied SSD. They almost always deny you the first time. Best thing is to look for a SSD lawyer. They usually just take a cut of your back award you get.

You also will be eligible for Medicare if you succeed in getting SSD. It takes a couple of months for it to kick in but it would solve your healthcare problems.

Good luck! Sounds as if your could really use a break.