Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello....I'm new here...let me see if I can give ya'll a quick summary.
I'm 35....5'9"...140 lbs....I've been having back pain for serval years now...only since this past year, the pain is becoming unmanagable. my legs started going numb with sharp knife pains in them...increasingly getting worse. I tired every kind of therpary, lower back injections..nothing helped. Oh by the way, its my lower back that is the problem.
well, this past Wed. I had a 360 level 2 spinal fusion. L4,L5,& S1
They put 6 screws inside to hold everything together.
I have a couple of questions regarding healing process and the pain. I don't want to get to grafic here, so I wait to ask my questions later....
if there is anyone that can relate or help me....please let me know.

• Don't worry about being too graphic. Ask away!
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Please ask. Give some details b/c I think by doing that different folks may be able to relate and feel more inclined to help based on similar experience.

I have not had a fusion but folks here have been so helpful.
  • There are many people on the board who have had lumbar fusion...a variety of levels...a variety of procedures. You can look through some of the old threads on this section of the forum or you can use the search box...or you can ask specific questions.

Please be advised that you have had a BIG surgery and you are very early in recovery. Healing from fusion requires patience and can be a somewhat bumpy road. Just when you feel like you are finally making some progress, a set-back is right around the corner.

Be sure to follow your surgeon's instructions to a "T." Do not be in a hurry to rush things, as that will end up hindering more than helping.

Feel free to post often. You will find many people who are generous with their support and willingness to answer questions. None of us our medical professionals, but there is a wealth of
    practical information accumulated through personal experiences.

• You are at the point where things are still very fresh and painful. Be sure to take whatever pain medications the surgeon ordered on schedule. Set an alarm if need be to take the dosage that occurs in the middle of the night. It is very important to take pain meds on schedule so the pain does not get ahead of you.

You will also probably be plagued with constipation from the pain meds...so be sure to take something that helps...and drink lots of fluids, especially water. Eat lots of whole grains, fiber, vegetables and fruits with peels -- blueberries and prunes are especially useful in this regard.

Walking is very important to your recovery so try to walk short distances several times each day. Distance is less important than frequency, especially in the first month or two. It stretches out the spinal nerves and helps to keep scar tissue from attaching to them. Also it promotes blood circulation to the surgical site which does not have a lot of vessels running through it. But the scar tissue is the most important issue at the beginning...so for now your job is to rest and walk, rest and walk a bit more.

Of course you need to avoid any activities that involve bending, twisting, reaching up overhead or to the side...lifting anything heavier than a gallon of milk...avoid riding in cars unless really necessary and avoid bumpy or curving roads.. It seems like a lot of "NO's" but if you can be careful at the beginning, it will pay off in a solid, strong fusion.

• I had L-3-4 spinal fusion 2 years ago,and am having L4-5 in 2 days---ask,ask,ask!
  • brandi-where in Texas are you?
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    There are probably no questions we haven't heard before :-) I had an L4-S1 fusion and will help in any way I can.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I had a 2 level spinal fusion on 8/31, I will help/inform/advice any way I can, of course from personal experience only. :)
    I am also in TX Just between Dallas and Ft. Worth. In Grand Prairie. Anyone familiar with it? I am a 15 min drive from the new Cowboys stadium in Arlington.( when there is nothing going on there hahaha.
  • Hi Momma! I am northwest of Krum,which is northwest of Denton.We are about 10 miles west of Sanger===we are neighbors-relatively speaking!
  • Ask away - I had a L4/L5-L5/S1 done almost 18 mo. ago. I had Left leg sciatica and CES pre-op and bowel and medicine tolerance issues post-op. Embarrassing and horrible things to go through, so ask away.
  • I don't think there is much you can ask that would prove too graphic for us. We've all been through the icky stuff, so we know and can relate well. I had a three-level fusion 13 months ago. First from the back, then four days later through the front. Titanium rods, seven screws, titanium dowels with cadaver bone and BMP mixed with my own bone marrow. Ask away - that's what we're here for!

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.