Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical and Lumbar Spondylosis, Spinal Canal Stenosis

tmparker171ttmparker171 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everyone this is my first time posting but I have read alot of the postings since 2008. I finally decided to tell my story. I'm a 40 year old female, I was in a terrible car accident in 1995 that resulted in my neck being fracture at C4-C6. I have been in pain since but the severe pain started in 2004 when my right arm and fingers went numb and I couldn't move my fingers. Now I have back pain headaches neck pain muscle spasms in my legs, toes back and neck. There are days when I can move out the bed. I can't sit too long with out adjusting my body, standing for long periods is impossible. I take a bunch of pain medication the make me sleep most of my life away. I really don't understand my MRI's I've taken and it seems as if my physician and the neurosurgeon is hidding something from me. I ask then will I be in a wheel chair by the time I"m 50 and they avoided the question with "well you have a lot of cartledge loss in your spine. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

To add insult to injury I was told my Social Security Disability I can do lighter work
(I was a customer service representative sitting at a computer, how light can you get!!!!)

Here's my MRI's
and Meds that don't work.............

Cervical Spine MRI/wo Contrast
September 16, 2004
Axial images reveal: C3-C4 shows right greater then left uncinate and facet osteophytes with moderate right neural foraminal narrowing, mild diffuse disc budge with partial effacement of ventral
cerebrospinal fluid. The kyphosis and disc bulge resulting in mild central, no cord deformity.
C4-C5 right greater then left uncinate osteophytes and mild posterior vertebral body osteophyte/disc complex resulting in partial effacement of ventral cerebrospinal fluid and mild central stenosis without cord deformity and moderate right slightly greater then left neural foraminal narrowing.
Loss of cervical lordosis, kyphosis with other bony changes, consistent with posttraumatic deformity C4 through C6.
Degenerative changes predominantly consisting of facet and uncinate osteophytes with overall mild to moderate neural foraminal narrowing
C5-C6 left greater than right uncinate osteophytes without significate neural foraminal narrowing, mild increased T2 signal in the posterior disc margin. The spinal cord abuts the posterior aspect of the vertebral bodies due to the kyphosis.
C6-C7 mild bilateral facet and uncinate osteophytes with mild bilateral neural foraminal narrowing. Minimal diffuse disc bulging.

Cervical Spine MRI wo/contrast
October 16, 2009
Loss of cervical lordosis wth kyphosis and other bony changes, deformity of C4-C6
Degenerativer changes
Findings: Again seen loss of normal cervical lordosis with kyphosis centered from C4-C6. There is widening of the intraspinous space between C4 and C5. No changes since 09/16/2004
Except not noted on September 2004 C-7-T1, There is left-sided uncinate and facet hypertrophy. There is moderate-to-severe left foraminal narrowing.

MRI Lumbar spine wo/contrast
October 16, 2009
Sagittal images demonstrate (20% slippage) grade 1 anterolisthesis of L4 and L5.
Axial images throughout lumbar region:
T12-L1 demonstrate broad-based disc bulging with posterior disc osteophyte complex. This result in mild central stenosis, there is minimal foraminal narrowing.
L1-L2 demonstrates disc bulge, no significant stenosis, mild foraminal narrowing
L2-L3 demonstrates no significant stenosis.
L3-L4 demonstrates facet hypertrophy, disc bulge, narrowing of the left subarticular recess and mild impingement of the traversing left L4 nerve root. The foramen on the right is patent and on the left is mildly narrowed.
L4-L5 there is facet degenerative change, left more than right. There appears to have been a laminectomy on the right,(I was born with Spinal Bifida no L4 or L5 on the right) There is deformity of the thecal sac on the left with impingement of the traversing left L5 nerve root. There is moderate left and moderate to severe right foraminal narrowing.
L5-S1 there is severe facet degenerative changes and mild disc degeneration, mild central stenosis, mild right foraminal narrowing the left is patent

Lumbar spondylosis at multiple levels, most severe at L4-L5. There is evidence of previous surgery (not true, spinal bifida at birth) there continues to be significant stenosis within the spinal canal on the left.
Most severe foraminal narrowing is on the the right at L4-L5.
The neurosurgeon advised my primary care physician that from the neurosurgical viewpoint there is nothing they can offer me.
My primary physician said we will continue to use the pain medication until they no longer work then we can go to a higher dosage.
Ultram ER 200MG didn’t work
Vicodin 5/500 MG didn‘t work
Naprosyn 500MG didn’t work
MethyIperednisolone Pak 4Mg didn’t work
Current Meds
Diazepam 10Mg
Zanex 0.5MG
Lexapr 10Mg
Acetaminophen-Codenine #3 300-30MG (Stop working)
Now I take Oxycodone-Acetaminophen 5-325MG with Cyclobenzaprine was 5mg now 10MG 1-2 tablets daily this puts me to sleep, I go to sleep in pain and wake up in pain.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and ask what questions we can. i cannot help you read your MRI but you do need to find a doctor who can assist you with that and give you an explanation you can live with.. :D i am sorry you are suffering so much.. perhaps being around others feeling as you do will give you some comfort. :D please make yourself at home and enjoy exploring the forum. good luck with your pain journey... :D Jenny :)
  • Thank you Jenny, getting another physician is a good idea.