Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

There is a difference between pain and hurting

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Chronic Pain
And for several days, I've just plain hurt! What is the difference? I can't seem to put it into words.
Can a few of you take a stab at it?
Thanks, Jim :?
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!

• Pain you live with suck up and move on. Hurting you curl up in a ball and cry.
  • Ummm

Pain is something you can localize. Hurting spreads to every corner, even your hair?

I felt the same way right after Christmas (one too many batches of fudge, I think!) but today was able to settle my stomach enough to take some ibuprofen, so at least my hair doesn't hurt anymore! ;)
  • Pain can make you cry & can sometimes be masked w/ meds. Can be lmited to a specific site in body. Sometimes you can ignore it, or be distracted from it. Transitory on a good day. All-consuming on a bad one. More "physical", more documentable & to others, more "believeable".

Hurting can make you weep, meds don't help much & it invades the soul. Refractory, constant, demoralizing,chronic, wears you down, wears you out. Amorphous, less specific, harder to "prove" yet more devastating than pain.

And they can co-exist. And they often do. Much to our distress.

Pain: cry.
    Hurt: weep.

The difference is huge.
    We all "get it". Few others do.

• Have no idea what the difference is. I don't like to use the term pain. I only use the term when its acute and for the doctors because that's what they understand. I do hurt all of the time.

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I think you nailed it!!!
    Good luck, Jim
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • i would say that you are having a bad time right now ..pain and hurting ..same thing my friend ,,i only differentiate between back ache and leg pain .ache being a dull deep sensation and pain being a sharp fiery sensation .both are horrible .this is my opinion i am sure others will say something else ..another option its like when you go to the dentist with tooth ache {dull throb} and then he/she sprays cold air on it !!! WOW sharp pain..get the picture ..anyway Kim i hope that you can get some relief from your pain ache whatever you want to call it ..please have a healthy pain free new year
  • Pain ? Pain is there all the time like a close friend you cant get to go home.
    Hurting is that horrible stabbing that happens when I do something as innocent as twisting in a chair or stepping off the back stoop wrong.
    I know we all have our levels and you can take the 1-10 pain level guage and chuck it in the trash bin. What a bunch of crap. We all hurt at the levels we can stand before help is needed , not according to some chart on a wall !
    As you might guess I am in some pretty strong pain this morning and am looking at 10 inches of snow to move ,that fell last night. I'll get it shoveled , and will pay for it.
    "Keep your mind right" was something I learned in the military. I use the saying ten times a day.
  • I like this thread. After the initial acute misery of fresh surgery, we are left to cope w/ both the pain & hurt (on many levels) we are left with.

These lingering (great analogy of the friend who just won't leave...) effects re-define our lives now, call for some re-assessments, re-inventions, etc. Maybe the New Year will bring us all closer to some level of comfort we can accept & help us forget who we "used to be", quit mourning for that person & move fwd into the New Decade w/ an appreciation of what we've endured & survived, and what we will courageously conquer in the future.

There is always hope. There is still much beauty in the world & in us. Introspective day today--the eve of 2010. Moving into my personal 4th year like this, but still optimistic that perhaps, elusive as it seems somedays, the pain/hurt will diminish a bit, the year will be a good one & we will all, somehow, begin to feel better.

And will someone, some genius, please invent a total spine transplant!! Maybe this year...

Happy New Year to my precious Spine Pals. You have helped me thru so many awful times. Bless you all.

• Metaphorically speaking:

Pain is a paper cut.

Hurting is a surgical incision.
  • I'll take a "stab" at it....

"My pain hurts!"

Jim, my buddy, my pal - I hope you feel better soon. HAPPY NEW YEAR, by the way!?!
    I got a much needed laugh out of that one! =))
    Happy New year to you to my friend.
  • I hear you, man. Couldn't have put it any clearer. Pain, hurt..it all feels the same either way and it doesn't quit hammering you day and night.

By the way, Happy New Year everybody :H
  • Ya know Jim....I just can't say my feet and legs pound and throb with hurt!! It just does not sound right does it? If I bump into something, that hurts!!
    But what the heck. Jeaux you are so right...my pain hurts!!
    Hope you feel better soon Jim. You always come up with good ones. Luv your posts.

Cheers :H
    Patsy W
  • Jim,
    Pain is the physical acute pain which transforms into a chronic aspect, hurt is the luminosity we as individuals shine on all these collective elements. We are mandated to devise coping strategies for dealing with the chronic pain that we have usually endured in isolation and with limited support. Left to our own device and understandable we overcompensate and exceed that mode of coping into learned behaviour most of it is effective.

The tipping point is where that leaned behaviour stifles progress and we have to retrace our steps to find a more optimal route, learning is about staying as close or on that beneficial route as possible. It is interesting that when we feel sad or depressed that concept of the pain seems worse and as we improve we feel the pain less, the perception maybe that the actual pain itself has declined may not be true, only that we are thinking of it less and more distracted.

The concept of managing it more effectively is to be positive which we all know in hard to sustain for long periods, positive talk, people, encourage the positive and ignore the negatives, try to live that half full life, easy to say and so hard to do.

As said, pain and hurt are so intertwined that perhaps they are inseparable making pain go away which is all our desire is for some perhaps impossible, hurt is emotional and draining, it is not always those blips of unimaginable pain that are so hard but the continual drudgery and mundaneness of the associated hurt that is most painful.

Take care.

• Just wanted to check in and see how you are feeling?

You have been on several members minds over the past few days, so we wanted to reach out and let you know that we are wishing you less pain each and every day.

I've been going through a rough patch myself... can't seem to get my bladder infection under control. Just started another antibiotic yesterday, so fingers crossed!

I honestly don't know what the difference is between pain and hurting right now... lol. I know you fully understand.

Please let us know how you are doing, Jim.

Best wishes to you,

Tammy and several other Spiney's :)
  • As Tammy said ...you are in our thoughts.
    I do not think either "hurt" or "pain" would describe the torture you are going through right now would it?
    A friend
    Patsy W
    I came out of this surgery in lots of uncontrolled pain. Which to me is ridiculous, with the amount of information that I armed everyone with. What part they did not understand is beyond me. But I'll get over it, as we all do. And I hope #6 will be the one to at least bring the pain levels from a 6 with meds to a 2-4 as my surgeon has hoped for.
    Right now, I'm more concerned with Tammy's urinary tract infection. Remember you may not feel all of the intensity from that. Because of Pain meds and other pains that can take your focus off of that problem. Please remember we just lost a dear friend, Susan, aka stockbroker, basically to a urinary tract infection that progressed into a toxic condition that took her life. DON'T LET THAT BE YOU!
    Thankyou all, Jim
  • Dear Jim,

We are all hoping your pain will subside real soon. It tears all of us up knowing that you are suffering, Jim. I have no doubts you will get through this, but again... it's tough when we know a dear friend of ours is suffering.

You have so many people who are wishing you well. Please keep us posted with how you are doing.

Jim... I am terribly sorry for even mentioning my bladder infection. I don't know where my head was, as I know Susan passed away from a sudden infection of this kind. It broke my heart and I know how close you were to her. Again, I am so sorry and if I could crawl into a hole from embarassment... I would right now.

My doctors and my family are on top of my infection. I started a new antibiotic yesterday and I'm going in for a quick stream urinalysis tomorrow morning to check my white blood cells. If my doctor is not satisfied, I will need to be admitted into the hospital for IV treatment. I became septic about 3 years ago from a kidney infection and you are absolutely right about our medications masking these infections. I will be on a daily maintenance dose of antibiotics, once this infection clears. I had to do this before and I know the importance of this.

Take good care, Jim.

May you wake with less pain tomorrow....

• B) my first thought...pain is more physical and hurt is emotional? I'm in pain and hurtin'
    new to this chat forum concept
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    Pain vs Hurting ?

My view on this one is that when we are in pain, then we know that it is necessary to have some type of intervention. That could be Pain Medications, Physical Therapy, Heat Treatments, etc. It is necessary to have some action that will help to reduce or eliminate that pain.

Hurting. Thats when its that lingering problem, that we all have had. Its a nagging thing that just makes you feel uncomfortable.

Pain = Throbbing tense problems in a given area that has already had some problems.

Hurting = Aching feeling to an area.

For example, if this makes sense. Pain for me recently is when I can no longer lift my arms. When I try that, I get sharp stabbing pain that goes up and down my arm.

Hurting, is how I feel tonight while watching the NFL playoffs. My shoulders just ache, not stabbing, but something that just makes me uncomfortable.

Well, thats my view on it if it makes any sense
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I find it interesting how we all have different perceptions of the two. I think like Lakeside, Jim and Ron though, I hurt all the time, and the pain comes with the spikes, the stabs and the bad flare-ups.

I am so sorry to hear of Susan, my condolences to her family and friends and the rest of our community here.

Be well all.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Hurting is something to let you know that you are a live. Pain is where you wish you was dead most of the time. But we know you must keep living. If not for you .Then for your family and friends.

Wish you all to be pain free

• I find that if I try to analyze things too much I sometimes make matters worse (for myself mind you. Although there are times I make it difficult for those poor souls around me...).

So, once I acknowledge, I am able to move on. Sometimes I even get a little bit close to acceptance... but never surrender. I'm just so defiant in that sense...

Hope you're all having a good day. If not a good day, at least an "ok" day?

• Pain is in the body, it is transient
    Hurt is in the soul, it waits patiently until your vulnerable and wraps you.

Pain is our body saying there is something wrong...fix it
    Hurt is not being able to do a thing about it

Pain will come and go as the conditions change
    Hurt is not condition based, its always there

Pain leaves
    Hurt is forever
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

That says the most with the least amount of words. It's very poetic and I love it. Thoughts like that can't just pop into your head, can they??? You should write songs!
    Thanks, Jim =D>
  • William has a wonderful way with words. He can take the most dire of situations, and dress it up so well with words that almost makes you forget about the circumstances.

How are you today Jim?
  • I do agree with both Jim and Jeaux. Youe comments are poetry that gets your point across so well.

Jim...I do hope your pain has eased up a bit today and continues to do so every day.

Patsy W
  • Pain is when you kick the leg on the coffee table. Hurt is deep and constant,wishing you could sleep and dream this crap never started.I hurt today! Be nice to yourself. Mark
  • Hope your feeling better!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• perfect words
    well written
    i really like this thread

LOVE P

This discussion has been closed.