Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

360 fusion question

lynettellynette Posts: 217
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am sched for a 360 fusion single level l5-s1 on march 9th. I have had a previous microdiscectomy. I was wondering if any of you that have had or going to have a 360 was told about a small risk of foot drop in previous back surgery. One of the surgeons mentioned about a 5% risk and the other one didnt mention it at all. I guess when they start jacking up the disc space from the front there is a potential for overstretching the l5-s1 nerve if scar tissue has formed from previous surgery.I thought the spinal monitering was for this. Has anyone heard of this?

• is fusion ur only option ? and if it is why a 360 why not a axilif ?
  • I have not had a 360, but I did have a S1-L4 fusion. I don't remember anything about possible foot drop, but I do know there are a lot of complications that can happen in surgery. I always feel rather panicked and almost blindsided whenever I actually read the 'sign-off' sheet/consent form just before surgery.
  • foot drop was mentioned on my sign off sheet for l5s1 PLIF. I think that with any spinal surgery there is the risk of some nerve damage - small though it is. They are supposed to keep you informed of all risks no matter how small. Well they are in the UK where I am- guess it is the same in the US.
  • Neither surgeons I saw even mentioned a ADR. I have read too many not so great things about lumbar ADR's that I was'nt really even interested in it. I did a lot of research on ADR in 2003 for my neck disc but ended up with the disc coming off my cord so it has been stable for now. The surgeon I saw in nyc said that the neck disc will probably need to be addressed at some point but the lumbar is the problem at this point. The surgeon I saw In NYC is the chief of spine surgery at the Hospital for Special Surgery and I believe if that had been a good option for me he would have talked about it. I planned on asking him about adr's even though I wasn't really interested but there is so much info exchanged I forgot.
  • a risk of nerve damage. i do not have foot drop, but I do have a half-numb right foot since surgery. Just the outside of my right foot. It has taken some getting used to, but I live with it. My surgery was not originally planned as a 360. It was supposed to be from the back only. However, they could not get my discs out through the back because of the build-up of scar tissue, so they went in from the front four days later. My hardware had already been placed, so I don't know to what degree they were able to open the disc space. I imagine that, no matter which type of surgery you have, nerve damage of some sort is always a possibility. For me, I just prayed that what I ended up with was better than what I went in with. I do still have pain and other difficulties, but I'm a lot better off than I was!

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • It seems from reading online that there is a risk of developing foot drop after undergoing spinal fusion. Here are some good links for more info.

Hope this helps. Good luck.