Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post-fusion laminectomy report

ajamiesonaajamieson Posts: 65
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi All,

I had my laminectomy and fusion on Monday. I was released from the hospital on Wednesday. It went really well, I went on 2 short walks Monday night and walked a lot Tues. Doc said I was doing fine and sent me home w/ a program to walk a minimum of 20 minutes 3x a day. I have been able to do that plus a little more. My back looks very swollen in a photo I had someone take. I guess the swelling is normal but I wonder how long it lasts.

Anyway, I am grateful for all of the support I've received here and can happily report I have NO sciatic pain!!!!!

Happy New Year!

• You know what I am going to say to you...please take it easy and do not try to do more just because you CAN.

Don't be surprised if you have a bit of a setback in a week to ten days, or so. When the surgeon completes his surgery, they flood the area with a steroid and an antibiotic. The idea is to get the patient over the very worst of the surgical pain and to prevent infection...and it lasts about one to two weeks, depending on the person and how much the surgeon uses.

I'm delighted your sciatic pain is gone and that you are doing so well. I know how important exercise and movement is to you...but please do not get carried away and do more than the doctor recommends at this point. It will not help you in the end if you overdo it now.

This will be a very happy new year for you and your family!!