Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

After 9 years, having my 360 fusion.. Was everyone this scared?!

mom2boys3mmom2boys3 Posts: 34
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all! After 9 years and countless PT/Injections, and 4 opinions later.. Im having a 360 fusion on Febuary 1st.

we are a military family, so we are always moving and dealing with deployments #o ..
Ive put it off for years and Im finally going to stop letting life get in the way and take control of my health.....

I got a nanny for the boys and im going to do it!

Any suggestions for me, pre/post surgery?

• I haven't made the decision to have surgery because I am so scared. I don't know how much longer I can hold out. I have an appointment tomorrow to discuss things. I am dreading that they will say I need surgery, but at the same time, I want this sorted out so I can get on with my life. I just wish there was another way, other than surgery, to get my back sorted.

I wish you well, and hope that before long you will be able to enjoy life with your young family. (Mine are grown up now.)

Take care
  • oh yes!!!!!!It is very scary,and you will probably lose sleep thinking about it.I have been through 2 spinal fusions in 2 years---please PM me and we will talk about whatever you want! Jeannie
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Yes, it's scary, but the potential relief you will get will be well worth it. Depending on how old your kids are be sure to warn them that you'll be in a good deal of pain after but that should not scare them. Explain that sometimes surgery hurts but in the end can makes somebody better. When I had my L4-S1 in 1993 I had a roommate who was recently divorced and she had two kids aged 4 and 2.

It really helped to sit them down and explain that it was okay if I was going to be hurting, even if I cried, and I explained that my back wasn't working right and had to be fixed and that sometimes the fixing hurts a lot. The 2 yr old liked being my helper and picked up what I dropped. The 4 yr old was also my helper and could get me snacks, drinks, etc. I made sure to hide my medicatinos (didn't want them to be even tempted) but explained that my medicines might make me very tired. They actually adjusted to it quite well since we had pre-educated them. About a year later the 2 yr old had surgery and I promised to be his helper (even though they had moved into their own place). The nurses said he did so well accepting the IV, pain, etc and we told them what had happened the year before.

Be prepared to take it easy and don't overdo it. It sounds like getting a nanny was an excellent step. Again, if the kids are young and when you feel able let them come to you and sit with you to comfort you but resist any temptation to lift, carry, bend, twist, etc. Even if the kitchen isn't cleaned as you like and the kids don't eat as well as you'd like - by letting yourself recover you'll be back to being mom sooner! We often see people on this board who think they are doing well and then they overdo it. I know I'm one that will have a hard time not doing stuff around the house but if I want this surgery to work I'm going to have to resist...somehow!

If you have others in the home during the day they can help you get items you need. But if you'll be home for any period of time alone be sure to have anything you need within easy reach. Things like extra toilet paper people don't think of until they need it, the house is empty and the toilet paper is under the bathroom sink. So stuff like that.

I just purchased a toilet seat riser via Amazon (best prices I saw). I remember from past back surgeries that getting down to toilet level can be hard so it was well worth the $25.

2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Have you been to the Post-op Must Haves list? Don't freak out too much - it's a BIG list and you won't need everything, but it shure helps you to think of things you might not have considered before.

Oh, just FYI: We were military when I turned my ankle backwards. It was 3 surgeries (8 screws, 2 pins and a plate) and 6 mo. on crutches. They originally thought I might lose my foot it was so bad.

But - at 20 years later (it's now 25) I had it x-rayed and the ortho could not even tell I'd had a break until I told him about it. They did a good job.
  • I too am sched for a 360 fusion on March 9th and scared also. I don't think anyone would be normal if they didn't feel some anxiety. I think back surgery has got such a bad rap over the years that it's more anxiety producing than most surgery. What kind of other options were you given for fusion approach and how did you decide on the 360? My local neuro wanted to do a PLIF and the second opinion in NYC wanted to do the ALIF/PLF with discectomy both approaches min invasive techniques. I really like my local neuro(did my microdiscectomy) but I really feel more confident going to the HSS in NYC. It is 3 hours away so that creates more anxiety if any problems post op. Keep me posted on your journey cuz I'm not far behind you. Lynette
  • I too am scheduled for a double level 360 fusion next friday the 15th. i am scared too. I am having the levels L-4-5 L5-S1 done. With hardware and the BMP.
    I have already had two disectomies and this is hopefully the last surgery needed.
    I cant believe how quick its coming...by this time next week i will be even more freaked out.
    You can PM me if you need to talk. Good luck to you.
  • Thanks for everyone responding to my post.. Our boys are 3, 8, and 15... Ive had a talk with them about surgery but will definetly hit on points that were brought up by other posters.. THanks:)
    We are a military family, but thankfully im not having surgery here on base.. On alot of bases now, most big procedures are referred off base.
    Lynette- I got my decision about a 360 from what my ortho spine dr recommened. I had 4 other drs (texas and Cali) tell me they wanted to do a two level posterior approach. Sadly im no a canidate for minially invasive procedures. I would of been 2 years ago, but they werent avaliable to me at the time.. Oh well, lots of prayers and faith , im sure i will be ok.
    Im happy with my decsion about the nanny... she is also going to grocery shop and cook diner everynite as well.
    I will let ya'll know how it goes...
  • good luck to you too! I will PM, would love to chat with you!
  • good luck,girls!I know this is an anxious time for you--I am only a week past surgery---but everything I go through post surgery will be worth not having pain,and not being able to walk.My kids are grown,so I am not in that situation,but it is a huge commitment for family as well as friends.---plus your spiney family! also remember this is the place to rant,rave,have meltdowns,as well as sharing the good things! Love,Jeannie