Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Good results from ACDF surgery!

thetigerladytthetigerlady Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I was here a while back...nervous about my then upcoming 3-level ACDF (with hardware) surgery. (4-5, 5-6, & 6-7) Then my puter crashed and I lost you guys...
...well I just found you again and I wanted to tell you guys that I am now fused completely!
I feel *SO* much better than I did before surgery. Even as soon as I woke up, the pain in my shoulder that traveled down my arm was gone. the numbness was gone too. Since my operation was in the afternoon, I stayed in the hospital overnight. They had me on morphine at first, then started me on lortabs. As soon as my pain was manageable, they sent me home. I had to wear a soft collar for only 3 days. I took the lortabs for about a week, then switched to tylenol. Every once in a while I needed a lortab after over-doing it...I tended to "forget" I had the operation.
I will say this...invest in a wedge pillow. It was a life-saver for me that first week or so.
As of now, I am virtually pain-free. I have arthritis in my neck too, so I get a little pain from it, but everything else is doing pretty darn well!

• That's GREAT TigerLady!

How long has it been since you had your surgery?

My surgery was pretty much the same; I had a hemi/laminectomy at L5-S1. I woke up when they were wheeling me into the recovery room and I could tell the difference right then and there. But, this is about you - not me.

I am so very happy for you! Thanks for checking back with us to let us know how well you are doing. It does a heart and soul good to hear these success stories!

(Geaux Tigers! I'm an LSU fan... you?)
  • I had my surgery on August 20th.
    I don't know about everyone else, but my doctor did not prescribe physical therapy? Is that weird, or the norm?
    I know it did me a world of good to hear the success stories before my surgery, so I *had* to post mine too!

No, not an LSU fan, just LoVe tigers. :)
  • I have never had neck surgery, but I did have back surgery; I was not prescribed PT afterward. So, can't really say if it is the norm.

I love tigers too! ANY cat, for that matter - big or small. And, uh - I won't hold it against you that you aren't an LSU fan ;) .
  • Thanks for sharing Tiger!

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    I'm 2 plus years post-op of a fusion to C3 thru C6. Congrats to you on your awesome outcome. My fusion was a success also but due to other problems, I still have issues that are no fault of the surgery.
    Like you I did not have physical therapy and I don't think that is unusual. I believe being the neck only supports the head and to prevent further damage they do not prescribe PT, just my opinion. I did have PT after my lumbar laminectomy to help strengthen my lower back muscles.
    Take care,