Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

seeing my surgeon again tomorrow...kinda nervous

dehoyos13ddehoyos13 Posts: 290
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

Hi spiney family. I see my surgeon tomorrow. I'm kinda nervous. He gave me the ok to go away last weekend. We thought the overall drive for the weekend would be 7 or 8 hours. It was more like 6or 7 getting there and over 5 getting home. Lots of snow in the Catskills last weekend.

I'm nervous because I keep doing dumb stuff or it keeps happening to me. I hit my head again on Saturday. I mean hard enough to be dizzy for a minute. The next day my husband and I watched the Giants game at a friends diner and after a particularly bad play he hit me in my left arm. This is typical for us during normal football games. He forgot and his expression was such that I couldn't get mad. He'd forgotten. Since then however, I've had a non=stop headache and neck pain. Vicoden takes the edge off. Actually this morning I took one and a half vicodens (7.5s but all it did was knock me out. I woke up with ridiculous pain.

I spoke with the office manager today and shared my story. Since they all know my first story. She said tomorrow she's bringing bubble wrap for my head. ha! At this point, I could use it! ha ha!

there's no one on chat so far tonight, so I'll shower and hit the sack. at 9:22pm. Pathetic. ha ha

• I understand- I was told that neck surgery patients are magnets for all kinds of accidents.... That is what my NS said and my PT confirmed it. Something about being a little disoriented and taking more time to get used to it.

I hope that you find out what is going on with your headaches. Does ice help? I use the gel packs on the base of my head several times a day. It doesn't stop the pain but I think it gives me a little break. I also use the IceyHot roll-on and roll it around my my hair line (careful not to get it in the eye it really hurts :O))

My headaches are worse than ever. I have been keeping track on my day to day calendar and I have had intense (7-8) head pain about 4-5 days a week. MRI was negative but it was just my brain.

If I wake up and have been sleeping flat on my back with a pillow under my neck-I can pretty much guarantee that I will have intense head pain for the following few days.

I am anxious to, I see my NS Thursday. I am hoping we get to re-schedule the ACDF and I also want him to order a CT scan of my neck. My last mri was from July, I think I due.

Hugs :)

• I think we should get you a hockey helmet to wear to protect your head....I suppose that would be too heavy for your neck. Oh dear....

All these random "accidents" are one reason that some docs prefer their patients stay close to home and limit their outings during the first six weeks or so...just to limit the possibilities of having an accident.

I hope your surgeon finds only good healing going on. Be careful going to the appointment!!
  • So sorry to hear you are suffering. I can't imagine which part of the game that was cuz the whole game was all bad plays on the giants part. My husband is a die-hard giants fan and I didn't dare talk to him until later on that night lol.

I find myself doing stupid stuff as well. I'm having a hard time staying on my feet. The snow doesn't help either tho. I've fallen down twice within a month chasing my darn dog cuz he took off over to the neighbors and I tried running in the snow both times. I can't hardly run as it is so it must have been pretty comical for others who may have been watching me lol. I tend to lose my balance real easy as my legs are weak and once inwhile my leg will give out while I am walking. This doesn't happen too much but when it does it sure catches me by surprise.

You will have to wrap yourself in bubble wrap. I have a ton left over from Christmas if you want to stop over and use it hahahah. Good luck with your appt and keep me posted.
  • I'll take the hugs.....I was sadly needing them. I saw my doctor today. He was teaching one of his students as he's the head of Ortho Surgery at my hospital. I got super extra time with him. He jokingly said to bubblewrap my head! ha ha. He did say that all of this was normal. He lowered my dose of vicoden from 7.5/750 to 5/500. That way I can take it more often but when I don't need so much I won't be groggy. And his favorite phrase for me "its early days yet".

About how I sleep however, he gave me Ambiien and told me to get a down pillow that would adjust itself to the shape of my neck. I had been using one of those ortho pillows with the weird shapes. My PT told me to use that like 18 months ago and I hadn't stopped. Hopefully between the ambien and the new pillow I'll sleep.

I'm sorry about your headaches. Surgery did help mine. ACDF c4-6. I was getting headaches almost daily. Since the surgery...maybe 2 or 3....except this past week which had been everyday. Today it isn't so bad.

He had to remind me that I need to eat. Not that I'm skinny or starving. ACtually I've put on 13 pounds in 7 weeks but I'm just not hungry, so I'll have hot chocolate for breakfast and then eat dinner around 6pm.

I hope your headaches go away and may your procedure be done soon. I tried conservative methods for 3 years...my choice. I was scared to have the surgery. But despite all the recovery issues, I'm glad I did it.

smilies to you!!!!
  • :D

I like hearing from you. Yeah...I think the helmet would be too heavy. With all the reading I've been doing in these 7 weeks, my brain has grown to incredible proportions and I can barely carry my own head! ha ha.

The dr said for me to bubblewrap myhead. He said (in his fabulous S. African accent) either stay home or go to the movies! He changed my meds so I'm not so groggy when I don't need as much relief but can double up if I do need it. Isn't he the best?????

His only concern now is that the scar is still incredibly tender. I'll be back in 5 weeks for new xrays and to see if the tenderness has resolved. If not, its a course of Cortisone for me. Yuk...as an asthmatic...I hate cortisone. Can't sleep when I take it.

all in all, pain or not...its a good day and life is great!

Thanks for your response. Hearing from you is like getting to a fount of great advice! Have you heard that before????? :H Probably from me....at least. ha ha

Thanks all! I'm greatly relieved. The doc said that the fear with all the accidents is enthesopathy. Ha! Had to look that up....a disorder of the connection of the bones and joints. No duh....the surgery creates the disorder so I'm all good for now! Thank goodness!!!!!
  • I like your screen name. The kids I watch love the Wonder Pets. Ming Ming is my favorite. ha ha.

yeah...sucky game. Doc gave me Ambien....maybe I'll sleep tonight. Hopefully I'll catch you in chat.

I FB you...I think......I'll get back to you. Hubby needds me right now.

• Glad to hear your doc had some good news for you, and that you didn't get hurt going to or from the appointment.

We were supposed to take our daughter to a play this evening, with dinner beforehand, but I have begged off. I thought I had already had every possible feeling/sensation with my leg, but I have managed to come up with one that is different and somehow worse. I have had house guests since Dec. 21st. It's been fun, but I am definitely worse for wear as a result. It makes me realize how little stamina I have after being laid up, to some extent or another, since 2005.

Take it easy and try to avoid any other set-backs...and you'll be well and ready to go by the time the weather warms up!!

Cheers ~

• I thought like I was repeating myself when I left the comment on your FB about the bubblewrap and then I see that I posted that last night before you mentioned what the doc said. How funny is that?!

I love hearing from Gwennie too. She really knows her stuff from doing the research.

I'm not too creative and came up with my screen name cuz it's part of my first and last name combined. I never really thought too much about it but I really like ming ming too. We're wonder pets and we're here to help you haha!!

Hope you are off in lala land soon and not up all night on here cuz that means the ambien is working not that I don't like the company. I'm going to try to get off here early so I can try to get to sleep before 2 or 4am. I have doc appt tomorrow and don't want to sleep thru my appt like I've done before. I need my refill on pain meds so that wouldn't be good. Good night, sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite.
  • Lots of good news and important things to know come from your posts!

Ming Ming....have you ever seen wonderpets???? "DIS IS SEWIOUS".

Make a list of ???? for your doc so that they can be answered for you and you'll have peace!

took ambien at 10;30. Its 12:12 and here I am. Gonna le down and what happens;
  • Team Work!!

Of course I know wonderpets but that's not why I picked Ming for my userid. It's cuz I'm very un-creative and it's part of my first and last name. My son used to watch it and my lil 3yr old cousin used to come over and watch it at my house all the time. Hope you get a great nights sleep.

Thanks Gwennie, for all the useful information you give us and we do realize you are not a medical professional but I do value your opinion and advice.