Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

handicap parking

gethealthyggethealthy Posts: 303
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi All! Happy New Year! I hope this year brings lots of good health and fast healing.

I'm 5 months post 3 level ACDF. I'm healing well and getting strong. I still have healing discomfort but am able to do most things now. I do have a question.

How many of you have handicap parking? My range of motion is not great side to side. My left side is my toughest so parking my car in Seattle is a nightmare. I haven't asked for handicap parking because I wasn't driving much. Now that I am I want to ask for it. Any tips on how to do that?


  • Look up your state's MVD online, or stop by one of their offices. They'll have a form that you will need your Dr to fill out, and then you return it to to the MVD for the parking placard.
  • I never did get a handicap parking sticker. Didn't even think about it - sorry, no help from me.

    I am glad to see that you seem to be doing pretty well :) Keep it up.
  • And he had forms and gave it to me. It helps with my back, when its ok, I walk, If not I have it. There are two types. Permanent and temporary. He will give you what he feels is apporpriate.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Each state is different in how they do this. When I lived in NJ the doctor could give you a temporary one and then anything longer than I think 3 months you had to get one from MVD.

    Here in AZ I found the form on the MVD website, I filled out most of it and will take it with me to my pre-op appointment with the physician's assistant. This is good for a temporary (6 mo) placard. If applying for a more permanent one they need more medical info.

    After my ACDF I ordered a panoramic rear view mirror from an online auto accessory retailer. I made sure to get one that is "easy on and easy off" so I can use it in any car and my hubby can remove it when he drives my car (it drives him nuts). It has helped a ton. As for parking I tend to park farther away where I hope no one will park next to me so I don't have to crane my neck OR I pull through where there are two spots "head to head" so I can pull forward when I leave.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I have to deal with parallel parking in Seattle. If you have a handicap parking permit you are allowed to use the "easy" spots. I can walk I just can't get in and out of the crazy parking downtown.

    Thank you for the info. I'm going to check it all out. I don't see my range of motion getting much better so I hope to be able to have a permanent one.
  • gave me a script for one, after I asked her about it, that I just took to the DMV and they gave me one for something like 5 dollars. Mine's a permanent one.

  • Hi,
    In New York you just download the form from the DMV and take it to your doctor to fill out. (takes him or her a minute). Then I took it to the Town Hall where I live and they issued my permit. No problemo...

    car accident 3/21/08
    shoulder surgery 10/08
    PLIF L4 L5 S1 2/09
  • One because I walk with a cane or a walker.... My PM Doc gave me the form, and the DMV gave me the permit for free.
Sign In or Register to comment.