Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

WHAT IS LIDODERM?

backman01bbackman01 Posts: 97
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:40 AM in Chronic Pain
Went back to pm today to talk the 3sets of pain shots only worked for a week,so no more of them she said nothing else to do,i said about a pain patch, so she gave me a perscription for LIDODERM PATCH. if the shots did not work how will a patch work??can someone help me out here?i also take 3 perc a day since 1993 but they dont last very long.
Rick ncpa ps hope iam in the right section??
advertisement

Comments

• I hear some people use the patch and it helps them. I would look for a second opinion PM Dr. I've seen two and waiting now for a specialty Pain Clinic at the hospital. My second PM Dr. found my facet joints were the problem and I had injections for that. I think percocet is not adequate for chronic long term pain. I use a slow release morphine and I have percocet which I rarely take for breakthrough pain. and my Primary Dr. gives me the meds. Do you take lyrica or Cymbalta to help with nerve pain? Keep looking for someone to help you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • They are lidocane patches. They worked mircles for me when my lumbar pain was bad. I actually need to get my script refilled (just to have for when I have a bad day). They are about 6"x8" patches that you peel off and stick to your pain area's. They last for up to 12 hours.

I used to peel and stick three around my waste band/low back area. They really helped me a lot. Even after the fusion. I am a big believer. I wish my hair wouldn't stick to them or I would use them for my neck.

The shots were hit or mis for me. I had selective nerve root blocks -very expensive. I had alot of slippage in my L5/S1 area.

Julie
  • Hi Backman! Re the lidoderm (lidocaine 5% patches): I slap one on every AM b4 work & it gives nice relief from the hardware pain & any other stuff going on (surface things, mostly) They are non-invasive (I had 10+ injections--no more of those) & are a cheap & effective way to reduce the annoyance of that constant aching discomfort around the fusion & hardware area, at least for awhile (I can't take meds @ school) & combined w/ an ice pack, can really help dull-down the minor stuff. You can use up to 3 at a time, but one usually does it for me. They come ina box of 30, so if you use one a day, they should last a month.
    Position it so it doesn't get caught up on your patnts' waistband, if you have a low lumbar problem like me. It stays pliable for a few minutes to re-position it if needed. Just be sure your skin is totally oil or powder free, otherwise it'll fall off. You might want to clean the area w/ an alcohol prep b4 just to be sure.
    I love them! They are a bit "cool" when you 1st apply them, which feels nice also.
    I still take my daily dilaudid & valuim, but as I said, not at school. So these really save the day for me.
    Hope they help you also!
    ~Lakeside
  • I had no luck with injections but was given a lidoderm patch by a friend to "try out". It worked really well for me for a while and my doctor was all too happy that I was taking less pain killers. My doctor's office ended up giving me free samples because, despite getting a prescription, my insurance company would not pay for them. They cost about $250 per box so they are pricey to buy on your own.

According to my research it works by deadening the nerve ends, which can take away quite a bit of pain. Unfortunately, after a few months they stoppped working for me (no idea why). The only problem I had with them is that they would start to fall off if I moved around a lot. I have a pretty physical job so this was annoying.

Anyway, I would definitely recommend trying them. Both my physiatrist and primary care thought they were much better for me than the Vicodin I was taking.

Hope I answered your question.

(BTW, I have herniation/deterioration of the 3 lower lumbar discs. I figured I'd mention this since I don't know what your situation is.)
  • I stick mine om my knee and my back. You can use up to 3 at a time for a 12 hour stretch. It's on 12 hours and off 12 hours. They can be cut in half if you want to. Stick one where ever you have pain. I get 3 boxes at a time.
    Please be careful when you dispose of them so pets or children do not get one and try to chew on them.
    If one gets accidently in the washer you have a big gob of yucky stuff.LOL
    Cheers :H
    Patsy W
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,065
    regarding the Lidoderm (Lidocaine Patches).

- Depending on your Insurance plan, 3 boxes (90 patches) should cost anywhere from $25 - $50.

- The whole patch does have trouble staying intact.
    Cutting the patch in half works better and depending on the area I use them, I tape over them.

- 12 hours on, 12 hours off. Check with your doctor.
    Mine has told me I could use them 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Which I did for a while. Now, I use them when I have a flareup
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.