Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Chronic Pain
I was wondering If anyone after Neck surgery? I had Two Neck fusions.The first one was in 06, But never fused.It was C4 and C5. The second one was in 07. It was from C4 to C6 16 screws & 2 plates. But C7 & T1 There is a problem. The MRI says there is electrodiagnostic evidence suggestive of left C7-T1 radiculopathy. I don't know what that is. I wish someone new what that means. If anyone knows PLEASE tell me, I have had to see so many Doctors. I am getting sick and tired of dishing out money for doctors and prescription.Four MRI,Epidurals,cat scans, Botoxs shot,EMG'S,Physical therapy,cervical Myelogram and facet shots. More but I can't remember,Because I get so forgetful and confused. My back and Neck are burning really bad, Like someone has a ice pick and their dragging it across back and fourth on my back and neck.It happens with what ever I do,dishes, driving,sitting at the table,my computer,small things .Every day things. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!! I can't go one like this anymore.
Thank you for any help,

• Have you tried Lyrica? It was the most help for the burning/numbness for me!

• Hi HappyHBmom,

I take Lyric Three times aday 150 mg, That helps my nerve pain.
  • Karen, welcome to spine-health. As a fellow "neckie" I understand the pain you are describing. After 2 neck surgeries, I too continue struggling with even simple day to day stuff.

Honestly, I have been focusing on learning to live with the limitations, and learning what NOT to do that increases pain. So my suggestion would be to figure out what triggers the pain and find ways to adapt that activity. For instance, washing dishes kills me because I can't look down for long, and doing anything with my arms pulls on my shoulders which then triggers the neck pain, etc. So I have a system worked out for doing dishes where I do the parts that don't hurt me and teh rest of the family is responsible for unloading the dishwasher and washing the pans. Laundry, pulling wet towels out of the washing machine to put into the dryer is a big no-no. So again, someone has to help me. But putting them in is usually no problem. Cooking is done in 5-10 minute segments rather than all at once. Crockpot cooking is great!

Hopefully the doctors will be able to help you so you can return to a normal lifestyle. But in the meantime try making some adjustments to lessen your pain.

I switched from Lyrica to Neurontin and get better results. I also take a muscle relaxant 2 times a day. If I miss a dose or two, the neck pain gets worse, so I know that this is something I need continually in my body. Also, I wouldn't survive without my TENS unit. This helps me to function when doing things that cause increased pain.

here are some links explaining radiculopathy. One is a video link, the other is an article that may help you to understand it better.

I hope this helps. It sucks that we have to live like this, but trying to make the best of it is key to having a successful outcome. :)

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Hi Neck of steel,
    Thank you for your info I was on the Tens Unit, But it Died. I do the dishes alittle at a time. When I do laundry I can put it in the washer but have too let the kids put it in the drier. I have to let my kids do alittle more around the house. Thank God my Girls don't like to see me in pain, so they do it on their own. What is Neurontin, It's better than Lyrica, because the copay for me is $50.00, I am going broke with all my Meds.
    Thank you so much for the info,
  • Karen, it's also something that I think every one of us has found out, whether the easy way or the hard way- there is nobody out there who can help us, we have to help ourselves.

There are no magic pills that make it all go away. There is no magic phone number to call to make the insurance company cooperate. There is no one doctor who can treat everyone perfectly. It's more like a maze with multiple solutions, and we each must find the way out ourselves. We can shout advice and encouragement to each other, but in the end we have to keep plugging away, getting a bit closer to the exit each time.

And we've all asked the question "how am I supposed to figure all of this out when I just HURT all the time?" There is no answer to that either, unfortunately. It just is.

If the tens helped, you should get another one. Ask your doctor for a referral to a GOOD physical therapist. Make sure you have a med that helps for breakthrough pain. It seems like your dr. is doing most of what can be done, but just keep plugging away at the problem until you find something that works!
  • I can relate to your frustration. sounds like you have had a lot of tests done. Quick question does your arm and hands burn or fall asleep at nite or with activites?

I have had 2 fusions on neck and a disc surgery i am currently not fused yet but working on it. your MRI suggests there is a nerved picnhed some where but if you have hardwar in neck its hard to tell for sure.

You may want to try a chronic pain center to find where the location of pain is comming from your back and neck, sucks you have it going on in back and necck so it will be a little more of a process. I am 32 and going on my 13th surgery on the 2nd of feb. So I do know the pain and frustration you are experiencing. But as Cindy said you need to find what makes your pain flare up and what to avoid. Its very important, cause it sucks wasteing a day away cause of over doing it.

what are your symptoms from neck pain. And back?

take care
  • Hi Smileys,
    My Hands and fingers Fall asleep so does my forearms,I have nerve pain all over my body, But I take Lyrica that has helped me so much THANK GOD. I go to pain a management Doctor.On my next visit they are going to burn my nerve in my lower back. As for my neck and upper back The Doctor said there is nothing that will help me. I have burning stabbing shooting pain in my neck and upper back. Just sitting here typing this my neck is on FIRE, So I have to go good luck.
  • If you are anywhere near Louisville KY, get an appointment with the surgeons at Norton Spine Institute. They are very good and have access to some cutting edge technology, if there is anything that can be done they will know. I have had a cervical fusion in 07 and another one is coming on the 4th of Feb. Looking down at the computer is hard, but there are ways to accomplish most everything you did before. I know it is hard to deal with, but there is a future for all of us. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.