Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I had my cervical facet joint block yesterday - 1/7/10

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So I had my cervical facet joint block yesterday at my C5 to C7 - bilateral. Procedure went well, very quick. I had immediate relief right after procedure in the recovery room. However, Nurse said that was more than likely due to the anesthesia and that the time-release cortisone won't kick in for a few days. She informed me that I may experience discomfort in injection area once anesthesia wears off as well as the nerves that were bothered before for the next few days until the steroids kick in. I am to ice and take it easy the next two days.

I will follow that advice, but my job is pretty demanding right now mentally with long hours at the computer typing away on e-mail, running reports and making calls. So I hope that doesn't tax it too much. At any rate, as I write this after a 4 hour night of sleep, I will say I am pretty sore and my pain has in fact returned. I am optimistic however that I experienced immediate relief and that hopefully the Dr.s hit the right nerve - no pun intended.

I am interested to know other peoples' experiences after post-surgery injections. Primarily cervical. So please feel free to respond.

• I'm glad you got immediate relief and hope that you don't have to go through too much before the cordisone itself kicks in.

If it's at all possible, try and lay low for 48 hours instead of 34. This is the deal: the less you move around in the three days following an injection, the more the medication will settle into the area where you need relief. If you move too much, the cortisone can disburse around the area with less of it settling where you need it.

Does this make sense? I hope so but if not, I blame the morphine. I'm sure Gwennie will get on here and explain this better than I did.

• does that work for facet blocks in the back as well?
    i had L/3 thru S1 done this am

• How are you feeling? Your advice is well noted. I am trying not to move around too much. My work is management, so much of my time is sitting at a desk. Yes I know that is not good for he neck per se, but at the very least I am not trying to do too much activity at this time.

I am very sore I will tell you right now and my nerves particulalry up to my occipitals are on overdrive. They told me this is to be expected after the anesthesia wears off and before the cortisone kicks in.