Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

new member waving a numbed hand hello

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in New Member Introductions
I've been lurking for a little bit, but figured it was time to introduce myself- my name is teri..aka uncomfortably numb.

I woke up a year ago with one of those "annoying" cramp/crick like pain in the shoulder blade- you know the ones that hurt like the dickens for a day or so, and then fade? Yeah...hasn't faded. My primary doctor did 6 months of neck adjustments (said my neck was out of alignment) but told me to use Advil for pain (gee thanks doc...I can't bend over to groom my dogs, but I can have Advil "pretend eye rolling smiley was placed here")

So I finally got Dr No Meds For You to refer me to a neurosurgeon, and was sure I'd get the six months plus of PT, etc and in a month or so, I'd be feeling better.

I saw my new neuro doc yesterday (Friday)...he showed me my MRI's...umm...yeah. So now I'm scheduled for Anterior Cervical Fusion on the 29th of this month- or sooner if the out patient OR opens a slot before then. I'm not allowed to take any NSAIDs now, just in case the surgery gets moved up.

The neuro appt today was one big blur..I know I have one large disc that's ruptured which is pushing on the spine and to the left on the c5 and c6 area. My left arm stays numb, achy and shakes..always has a slight tremor. And the random body..jumps? Twitches? Its sort of like the body jerks you can get right as you're falling asleep- except I'm wide awake. I won't go into detail about the "adventure" of putting on mascara with random body jerks..according to my husband, its hilarious LOL

(dear gawd, I'm typing War and Peace..sorry!) And now I'll shaddup. Today (yesterday, its after midnight) has been so...I don't have words for it. Confusing, frightening, frustrating? I just wasn't expecting surgery right off the bat.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Hi Teri

Welcome to the Spine-Health forum. It is good to meet you and look forward to your future postings. I am sure you will find helpful information and plenty of support.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. You'll find a lot of great information on this site and the members of the forum are very knowledgeable, understanding and supportive. Nice to have you here.

You don't specify, so by reading your post, I assume that you're scheduled for a 1-lvl ACDF at C5/6?

Of course you're confused, frightened and frustrated. I think most of us start our spiney journeys that way. I was having a back ache in May 08 and was having a 3-lvl ACDF in October 08. It's quite common for spine problems to come on suddenly and then have to be dealt with just as suddenly.

I think you'll find a lot of member stories in the Surgery and Neck Pain sections informative. But one thing I want to warn you about is that you'll find more bad stories than good here and that's because those members that had successful surgery and have recovered fully are off living their life and no longer post here because they no longer need support. There are still a lot of members here that have had successful surgeries and either choose to stay and help others and/or are going through more spine problems, like myself. I still like helping neckie's, though.

I'm sure that you're going to have a lot of questions coming up in the next few weeks and we're happy to answer them as best we can from our own experiences. There aren't any doctors here that can read an MRI or give a diagnosis, but there's a lot of collective knowledge in the membership that you can tap into.

Take care and feel free to PM me if you have questions or just want to vent to a fellow neckie. Meydey says it best: "Spineys Rule!"

• Welcome to SH. This is a wonderfully supportive site and I am sure you will find lots of information. Look under forum faqs for pre and post surgery needs.

I had C5/6 fusion and there are days I forget I had it done. I had nerve pain for a while after the surgery as my nerves were screaming from being decompressed, but other than that, my recovery was great. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Love that dog lol.

Best wishes to you,