Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Whats up now 6 months since micro-d at L5 s1 .

john 40jjohn 40 Posts: 190
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Though I was doing ok . up to around
3 months I have had low back pain since 4 weeks after surgery doc say its normal after 6 weeks
still have back pain and little numb in left heal of foot but no more constant leg pain and cramp that would not go away and I can walk .
Doc say I can go back to work when I think I can .I am a heavy equip mechanic and operator
I do a lot of siting and bouncing or bending and lifting
back pain gets worse when driving only takes 20 -30 min start having spaz. Doc say normal muscles are week so I need to get built back up so keep trying little more each day
I used to run equip. 10-15 hr a day no prob
so I keep pushin on some weeks ok some not so good at around 3 month rolling hay bales out of
truck( not lifting any more)had the electric ice pick stick me in the back and down the leg to foot ( o crap hear we go agin) and this time also on right side down around hip an but
after ib and vicod an lay around for the weekend all most all pain gone called doc on Monday morning he say normal take it easy for a couple days if pain comes back call him
so keep on pushin not as good as before but I am ready to go back to work and get on with life
some weeks ok some not
work is slow so did not go back yet still cant drive more than 30 min with out back pain spazin out
gp-doc say try PT so seem to be working till after 3 weeks got up in morning after bad nigh sleep
keep waking up on left side witch makes me hert like h@@@
back and foot pain around 6-7 scale (crap) I was ready to go back to work
now go see Nero surg -doc on 19th pain back down to 2or 3 no ice pick pain unless I twist or pickup something I should not be .constant feel like a small brick in lower back
is it what I think or ?

• Hi there,

I had the same surgery in August. I actually never got relief (that I recall) and at 6 weeks post-op, I was put on prednisone to help reduce inflammation at the surgical site and I was still restricted to walking and stationary bike.

At week 10, went for another MRI but I started PT. The PT was good b/c it helped teach me how to keep strengthening core abdominal muscles without any impact to my back. It also gave me other exericses.

Unfortunately, the MRI showed I had another mass on the nerve which is why I was still feeling like garbage.

I think you need to take it easy, ice, rest, don't overdo it but you are 6 months out. If you try the above for a few days and the numbness is increasing, I'd be concerned.

I would not be concerned about the numbness in your foot that never came back b/c I've talked to several folks that said that was the last place to regain feeling and that they didn't fully get it back.

I would take the doctor's orders seriously.
    If you still aren't feeling well, my guess is they will want another MRI (with and without contrast) to see if you re-herniated the disc which is possible.

Your job sounds very 'impactful' to your back so it could just be fatigue. I wish I had more to offer.
  • I haven't had surgery but I know the pain from L5-S1 herniated disc. Really only another MRI would show if you have another herniation at least you 're seeing your Surgeon to see what he says. Maybe you need some more time off work to walk and recover more. I hope you have enough pain relief meds to get by until your appointment. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks for reply trying not to freak out
    thought I was finely getting better I am really getting tired of not being able to do
    things without the back monster . But I feel little silly I no there are people on hear that have
    been dealing with it for years
  • I had L5 S1 fusion done 7/1/08 and I felt great for about 3 months. After that I started feeling worse than before surgery and it hasn't gotten any better.

The one thing that did seem to help was aqua therapy. It's nice that you can build your strenght and work on core muscles in the water and be weightless.

I've tried SI joint and trigger point injection, PT, water PT, ESI (2nd one on Monday) and going to see a neurosurgeon on Tuesday.

If you are still having increased pain after following the docs orders then you really need to keep bugging him and see if he can order another MRI or CT Scan. I hope you didn't reherniate anything.

Keep us posted on how you are doing and how you make out with your doc. I wish I had more advice to help you.