Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ok scary recovery question????

dlbettsddlbetts Posts: 16
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So my recovery is way better than expected, but I have some apprehensions developing (go figure)!

My mom saw my incision today and said it's about 5 inches long and is closed with staples. Obviously those have to come out. Question is when and how bad is that process? I'm pretty sure I'll be able to handle it, but as always I just wanna know what I'm in for!

Thanks once again fellow Terminators ;) (my husband is very proud of my new titanium parts)....

• dl....staples will probably come out at your next visit with the surgeon. I had staples years ago...the fear in my mind was 100% worse than the actual pain I felt. Truly.

If you're not riding to the dr alone...you might want to take some pain meds if you're afraid that its going to hurt too much. If you're driving yourself...no meds. I'm in NYC and just today in our paper is a story about a lady who hit a kid. she was driving after taking pain meds. what a horrible lesson to learn and at someone else's expense.

don't worry though. It really shouldn't hurt. Keep us posted! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

• Just like stitches. Pulls a little. Takes a second. I had them for a c-section many years ago. I joked with the doc when he had to take them out if he was going to the nurses station to borrow their staple removed!! He did!

Unless you are a big baby you don't need to take anything.

Let us know what you thought,
  • I had 40 some staples removed from my head surery in Nov and was a piece of cake. I think stiches hurt just as much. Didnt hurt much at all. Good Luck.
  • sounds worse than it is hurts less than a cat scrach :D
  • I agree with my fellow spineys-taking stitches out isnt bad--just try to take a deep breath and relax.Do you think you keep hitting your head/running into things because you are getting in a hurry?
  • I've had staples for several of my surgeries. On my elbow surgeries, I got to watch when they took them out. They cut them in the middle, then pull out the pieces. Most I ever felt was a little tickle as they came out.

• that your recovery is going better than you expected.

Sounds like removing the staples will be ok too.

I'm following your recovery closely Diana. It is so reassuring to hear how well you are doing.

Keep healing.
  • When I had my staples removed after surgeries, it was nothing more than a little tug and barely any discomfort. A snip snip and it's on to the next one. You'll be okay. Just be still and take a breath. Before you know it, it'll be all done.