Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I just want to scream

sacramentassacramenta Posts: 16
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Chronic Pain
I am posting on this board because I am hoping someone has had a similar situation.
I had a car accident 20 years ago and went through a few years of recuperation. Was great for almost 2 decades and then my injuries came back to haunt me. For the last 2 yrs I have had bouts of back/sciatica pain which I have managed at home. Last year's bout proved too much so I went to my doctor who I have had for 6 yrs. He ordered MRI which showed herniation. He sent me to NS and a nerve test that showed severe nerve impingement. He treated me for 2 months. Went to PT and the whole works and was able to put it in "remission" for the last 6 months. It came back last week after all this time and after days of pain I decided I needed my doctor. So I went and told him I tried everything I could to manage it at home and nothing was giving me relief. He said I probably reirritated it and he sent me home with Naproxen. I am very upset because after a half a day spent going to the doctor, the money I spent etc....he sent me home with something I could have easily bought over the counter. There are a billion medications out there that he could have given me to help me for a week or so to get over the worse part yet I am still sitting here for days in pain. The doctor knows me, he sees my chart...he knows I am not a person to run to the doctor unless I need him. If I was, I would have been there constantly considering I have a valid diagnosis. I went to him 2 times in one years time!!! I am sorry that I am venting. The pain just gets to you and everyday you just get a little more irritable. I don't know what to do now. I guess he doesn't think herniated disks are that painful. I don't know what to do. He is my primary doctor on the insurance. Has anyone ever been in this trap?

• I haven't been in your position before, but my opinion is to give him a call now that you're sure what he prescribed isn't helping you at all.

It's usually best to stay away from suggesting certain meds for fear that it will label you a drug-seeker, even though I understand how long you've known this doc. Docs are so many times reluctant to prescribe narcotic pain meds that many chronic pain patients have to handle this kind of situation kind of methodically.

So, like I was saying before I so rudely interrupted myself,I think it would be best for you to call him tomorrow and let him know that the current medication he prescribed isn't helping and that you'd like to know what else he can suggest to give you relief while finding out how to deal with your problem. Be specific with what kind of pain you're having and how it's interrupting your life (lack of concentration, not sleeping, etc.

I'm sure that others will post with addition and/or better info. I hope you can get something to help while you figure out how to treat your spine problems.

• Agree with Cath about contacting your doctor again. I don't know how assertive you are about the pain you are in, but really lay it out to him/her if you haven't been.

Can you switch PCPs if he doesn't do more for you?

Best wishes,

• Also while talking with request another referral to the NS. Many of us have been through similar situations. Right now I've two herniated discs in my neck causing me a lot of pain, I was at the pain clinic last week and almost begged for an increase to get me through until the surgery, I was told just to stretch them out. The weather has been horrible since, I'm very weather sensitive and have been miserable, in fact I've taken almost a full months of meds in a couple of days. I don't know what I'm gonna do, I have an appointment tomorrow with the surgeon to set the date for surgery. I'll schedule ASAP, to get out of this pain. This seems incredible I know, but the last surgery I had on my neck, the PM doctor wouldn't even clear the surgeon to give me any pain meds after the surgery!! So I woke up after surgery, with nothing in my system, and in excurciating pain!!! I would go to another PM doc, but the nearest clinic is a two hour drive one way. So I'm sorta stuck, and you are right it is awful. Good luck to ya.
  • I agree. Call him and just say "the Naproxyn isn't helping, and the pain is pretty bad!"

Conservative treatment means trying the lowest things on the scale before going to the next *if they don't work*, so this is pretty standard medical care. Those of us who are on the big guns often started out there too.

Also, in the meantime, try adding tylenol. I find tylenol helps much more than NSAIDS with the nerve pain (the NSAIDS help more for muscle soreness). Not too much tylenol, though- only as directed!
This discussion has been closed.