Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello Everyone!

aka_angelic37aaka_angelic37 Posts: 39
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everyone! I am a chronic pain sufferer of 17 years since my car accident which caused a severe burst(compression) fracture to the T-12 area. I have facet arthritis, scoliosis, a few bulging discs that showed up on an MRI a few years ago. I am going in for an MRI in the next few weeks to see what a neurosurgeon can do for me. They never considered me a surgical candidate until recently (due to my age), and I dont know if I am a candidate now, but am ready to get rid of this pain! I have been taking vicodin on and off for probably 15 years and I am getting real tired of doctors telling me to go for yet another round of steroid injections along with physical therapy. I recently had both of my hips operated on due to bursitis, which was ultimatley caused from my back injury, but I am petrified to have a back surgery! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Talk to you all soon =]

• Hi,

Welcome to Spine-Health. I would wait to see what the Neurosurgeon says after your MRI. Second opinions are always a good idea.

In the meantime there are many helpful articles about the various types of back surgeries and what is involved. If you do some research beforehand (if you haven't already) it can help when you meet with the Dr. so you are more understanding of what your options are.

For me, the first time (2 level PLIF) I was totally clueless and went along with whatever the Dr. said, this was before I found this site. Most recently, the second time (2 level ALIF) I was much more knowledgable, due to this site, and it made discussions with him so much easier, for both of us.

You may want to go to the back/neck surgery forum on this site and read what others have gone through. There are many helpful and caring people on this site willing to help answer any questions you may have.
  • Nice to have you aboard. Please continue to visit us and do lots of research on whatever your NS suggests. Recovery is long and arduous after back surgery. Usually there is some residual pain to deal with afterwards. I am better than I was before surgery, but still have chronic pain. May I ask you how the hip surgery went? I have a history of chronic bursitis in my right hip. I am now in the process of finding out if my right leg problems are from that or from my back.

Best wishes,

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you stopped by!! i am sorry you may be facing another surgery soon. :( you are very wise to be gathering all the information you can. you want to ask lots of questions of your doctors!! :? good luck with you MRI. :D Jenny :)
  • Thank you Marianne =]

Yes the bursitis is more than likey caused from your back, mine was. My right leg is a bit longer than the left because of my scoliosis. The surgery was a success on the left side but the right is worse!

How long is the recovery? Im not sure I am ready for this??? A little scared