Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neuropathy, left leg, foot, etc

retiredbosnrretiredbosn Posts: 71
Wanting to know if anyone else experiences this? My left foot doesn't sweat, doesn't shed dead skin (in fact I use a sander to remove the skin), and my toe nail on the small toe just falls off. I know it sounds gross, I have no hair on my left foot or toes either. My right foot is completely fine. When looking at my feet there is a huge difference between the two. I've never worried about it, as I have assumed that it is just from my back problems. Anyone else experience stuff like this?

• Yes, I have some of those things with my left foot - always colder than my right foot. I also have intermittent pain around/behind the nail on my big toe along with the searing pains I've been having since my last surgery. I think the nerves at L5/S1 travel down to various parts of the left foot so any aggrevation (surgery) at that level affects the left foot. Although I've had a cold left foot ever since having a microdiscectomy at L4/L5 about 12 years ago. The other odd thing was that I'd not feel my left foot getting sun burned under the sun when we got to the beach. Weird.
  • You might want to have it checked out just to be sure there isn't something else going on in addition to your back problems. Some of what you describe sounds like a circulation problem...but, we are not doctors....

Neuropathy effects various movement and sensation but it should not effect things governed by blood flow, I wouldn't think.
  • What you have going on sure sounds nerve related to me. In my case, I have a condition known as Meralgia Paresthetica which means I have an impinged Lateral Femoral Cutaneous Nerve that controls the sensation of my right thigh...it itches, burns, is completely numb AND there's a huge patch where all of the hair fell off and wont grow back. Nerve related.

I would definitely run it by your Doc and see what he/she has to say...but I'd bet there wont be great concern since there's not a whole lot that can be done about it.

Take care -