Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Freaking out a bit! Thoracic problems anyone????

diamondeddiamonde Posts: 185
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone,

Firstly, after my double ACDF in February, I'm doing pretty well. A few ups and downs, but mainly doing preety good.(history is below signature)

Unfortunately though, in the last couple of weeks i've began to have a new problem in my thoracic area :''( , which from what i've read is pretty rare. The problem is affecting my upper right back area, below the shoulder blade. pain starts from about 4 inches from my spine and goes towards my side in that region - which i think is in the T4 or T5 area based on a dermatome map. I'm wondering now if it started about 2 months ago, when i had persistent itching in the 4 inches nearest the spine but i don't know if that has anything to do with it or not... :??

Anyway, about 2 weeks ago the pain i described started... then about 5 days ago, i happened to be rubbing at the pained area under my top... when i realized that i could feel absolutely nothing in that 4 inch area closest to my spine! I even tried poking at it with a straight pin and nothing!! No sensation in that area (bout the size of my hand). The pain isn't there in the morning, but is excruciating ~X( by mid morning... and that has me back on tylex 1 to 2 doses a day... So here I am....

I've googled to try and figure this out... and found that it might be the DDD, a new thoracic problem, multiple sclerosis... or nothing at all! I just can't take this up and down nonsense anymore, feel like its one step forward and two steps back! thus... the freaking out part of this post!! Plus, last night.. at dinner with friends, and my C7 nerve started acting up (yet another new trick!!) had electric tingles shooting from my neck, down my arm into the last 2 fingers.... Jeeeeeezzz, does it ever end??!!??!

Sooo, thanks for listening to me vent a little :D !! I'd love to hear from anyone who's had similar problems, thoughts, etc.... and btw... I know... back to the neuro i need to go lol!! O:)

Best wishes for you all,
L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD

• Sorry that you have started having problems again.. I am 25 and up until Nov of 08 had never had any back problems.. On April 1, 2009 I had a 360 degree lumbar fusion at L5-S1 to fix my L5 pedicles that where broke and freely moving.. Thought that after a year are so I would be healed and back to normal.. Well that was not the case.. In Sept of 09 my back started hurting where my bra strip sits on my spine.. It got worse and worse until I finally went to see my spinal surgeon.. Had an MRI and found herniations at T5-T6, T6-T7, T11-T12.. Had 3 ESI (spinal injections)in Dec without relief.. Had discogram with CAT scan last Tues Jan. 12 and I go back to my spinal surgeon on Thurs Jan. 21 to find out if I am having surgery or not.. I hurt so badly all the time that I hope to hear that I am having surgery.. Which to everyone else says nuts but to people here it is understandable..

When my pain started it was right over my spine.. It slowly got worse and started sreading around my side into my chest.. I can't sit back against something to long but then to sit up without support hurts too.. When my flair ups are really bad it hurts when I breathe in to deep.. It feels like my lung hits my spine where it hurts and it takes my breath away.. More recently the top of my legs seem to be getting alot weaker and sometimes feel like they want to give out on me..

I also have spent many hours looking online but like you said there isn't much out there.. And what is says that when it does happen it is to people 40 or older which doesn't help seeing as I am only 25.. When I had my first fusion I felt like I was so perpared.. And it went just as I thought it would go.. It hurt worse then anything I've ever felt and has heck to get through but that is excatly what I thought it would be.. I know my dr will tell me about the surgery and afterwards but there is nothing like hearing it from someone who has been through it..

I hope you are able to find out what is going on and get some relief...