Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pcutlipppcutlip Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everyone!

I am Penelope, 37, with DDD in L5-S1, I think.
The first doctor told me it was L4-L5, and something in L5-S1. After all the X-rays and MRI, it confirmed that I had a bulging disc in both. Referral from him to the surgeon said I had DDD in L5-S1 and never mentioned L4-L5.
I had a discogram and the doctor said it was positive. I am allergic to Hydro-Cortisone, so that really isn't an option. PT caused a great deal more pain. This started many years ago but didn't think much of it until early 2009. Fusion isn't an option because of weight and smoking.
I have a total loss of reflexes in my Left foot and loosing the reflexes in the right. Tingling and numbness in Left thigh keeps me up at night. I can't sleep more than a couple of hours before waking up to readjust.
Insurance company won't pay for Artificial Arthroplasty because it is too new in their opinion.
Supposed to be in surgery today. I had to stop working as of last Friday.
Family is very supportive and have helped me so much but are also totally against me getting any surgery.
The stress, the pain, the fustration is more than one person can take.
I have joined this forum in hopes of finding others like myself but have only found those that have received/receiving the treatment they needed, not that it has helped everyone unfortunatly.
I wish each and everyone of you the best and I do feel for you all because I know what you are all going through.
I have read a lot of your posts over the weekend, but not all. I welcome post and PM's anytime.

• Hi Pcutlip---welcome!---you will find alot of great support on this site---please know we are here for you---what exactly kind of surgery has been suggested?
  • Penelope, Please get a second opinion from another surgeon.

I had my PLIF at age 40. I was told by one of my pain docs that I had to loose weight. Really? Like I want to be out of shape. The problem is that you are in pain and not able to exercise. You have to fix the problem before the exercise can happen.

My NS has never mentioned my weight. I did manage to loose roughly 30# after my PLIF but then I injured my neck and I have gained every pound back and then some. My lumbar fusion was text book perfect.

What is scary is that your surgeon only saw L5/S1 and didn't even address L4.... My surgeon gave me the option on only doing L5/S1 but L4 was already going bad and he felt that I would be back very soon to get that level added. Trust me when I tell you, you don't want to go through the recovery of a lumbar fusion twice if you don't have to.

Hang in there :)

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you stopped by! please be sure and visit the "Back and Neck surgery" forum for some input on back surgery. you will want to get more than one opinion. that is very important!! :D be sure and ask lots of questions and check out the many videos and other info available here on site. :D good luck! Jenny :)