Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 days post lumbar fusion

tesai110ttesai110 Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
just wanted to say hi to everyone seeing as i will be stuck on my back for awhile.

• ...when you're not up on your feet walking...to build bone and stretch out those spinal nerves. Your job for now is to walk and rest, and walk and rest.

How are you feeling? The first week is usually pretty rough, but things do get better.

Again, welcome. Glad you found our little community!

• Welcome to the board, you will find tons of support and real life advice here.(most are not medical professionals) I hope your recovery is speedy and minimally painful. Please post often, we love to keep in touch and support each other.
    God bless and keep You,
  • oh trust me i spend as little time as possible on the couch but i find that just the act of showering zapps all my energy, then i need to rest. but overall i feel pretty good. since the surgery i have had moderate weakness in my right foot. Dr. didnt seem too concerned but i am having trouble moving the leg when i walk, have stubbed my toe more than once so far.
  • Welcome to our forum and glad that your surgery went well.

Just rest and potter around home until you're ready to go out walking, and take your meds on time to keep your pain under control. The nerves will take quite some time to regenerate.

Let us know how you're going when you're able to.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • welcome,Tesai! It is good to have you with us----this site has been a godsend for me---so much information and support! This is the place also to have good days,bad days,and Official Mini-Meltdowns. Some days and nights will be better than others---we want to hear it all! Keep us posted! Jeannie

• You will make some really supportive friends here and people who know what you really feel like, will be able to advise you.

I can't advise on fusion surgery and the recovery, but I can encourage you along the way.
    I'm trying to avoid surgery, but it is looking more and more like I will have to give in.

Take care, and have a smooth and not too long healing journey.
  • Thanks for all the support! i just fell like i have cabin fever already but im going out to walmart with hubby and kids tonight, should be fun (i get to ride the motorized cart...hehe)
  • I'm glad you're getting out for a bit to a change of scenery. That will certainly help you feel better to move about. i hope you continue to heal with time. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • well im back from my outing and im EXHAUSTED! bit so glad i got out
  • I remember my first trip out to WalMart after my L5-S1 fusion in November. I didn't even go in the store, but it was nice to sit in the car and at least watch people. I want to join all everyone else in welcoming you to this site. It really is a neat place, in that the folks here will understand what non-spiney people just can't :)

• Hi and congrats on what sounds like a positive surgery...I know you are still in the early phases but your attitude seems to have you in a good place.

I hope your recovery continues to go well.
    It's funny how little things after surgery become bigger things. But given time...they will be little things again.

• well, today i feel great! i wish i could do more but i know i need to take it easy, oh well i guess all good things come to those who wait
  • Tesai-wow!you sound so good!keep up the good work,and stay with us on here--this is the best place in the world to share the great days,and the not-so-great days--hopefully you will only have the great ones! Remember---no comment or question or mini-meltdown is silly--that is why we are here!
  • Exactly what Gwennie17 said!! Walk,rest, walk,rest, stretches, pain medicine. It will all help you recover faster. Congrats, and I'm glad it all went well for you. Kevin
  • i hope i just get better from here on
  • Good to hear you are doing well post op. I remember my 1st few weeks after my discectomy and my computer was my connection to the outside world. I was not on this website much then but I will be now, have met alot of great people ready to give support. Will be having my fusion L5 S1 on march 9th. What approach did you have for your fusion? Keep us posted on your progress Lynette
  • my surgeon did a posterior approach but it still feels like it wraps all the way around to my front! i honestly feel so much better today but my leg is still dragging quite a bit, not sure if im gonna need a cane for awhile, i just hope it resolves itself.